Monitor and improve your institution's accessibility
Your school is full of diverse students with unique learning abilities. Providing them with more accessible original content means they can choose formats that work best for them: HTML for improved reading on mobile phones, Electronic Braille for the visually impaired, and Audio for learning on the go. Ally automatically scans your original content, and performs a series of steps to make them more accessible.
- Provide an institution-wide course content accessibility report
- Provide accessibility scores
- Give instructor feedback on how to improve your accessibility score
- Generate alternative formats for students to download
Ally institutional report
Blackboard Ally provides an institution-wide course content accessibility report that allows for deep insight and understanding into how the institution is performing and evolving from a course content accessibility point of view. This report helps track progress and can help highlight problem areas and identify initiatives that can further help improve accessibility at the institution.
You can find the Ally institution report in your LMS.
- Blackboard Learn: On the administrator panel under Tools and Utilities, select Ally Report.
- Instructure Canvas: Select Admin in the global navigation. Select an account and select Ally.
- Blackboard Open LMS and Moodle: From Site administration select Reports. Select Accessibility.
- Custom Login Page: If you have access through a custom login page, type the LTI key and secret for your institution.
Ally provides scores to measure the accessibility of content. Accessibility scores are determined by the severity of issues in each digital file or WYSIWYG content editor.
Scores range from Low to Perfect. The higher the score the fewer the issues.
- Low (0-33%): Needs help! There are severe accessibility issues.
- Medium (34-66%): A little better. The file is somewhat accessible and needs improvement.
- High (67-99%): Almost there. The file is accessible but more improvements are possible.
- Perfect (100%): Perfect! Ally didn't identify any accessibility issues but further improvements may still be possible.
Improve accessibility scores
Ally provides you detailed feedback and support to help you become an accessibility pro. Learn about accessibility issues, why they matter, and how to fix them. Green is the goal!
Go to the institutional report in your LMS. From the Accessibility issues table, find a specific content item in a course with an accessibility issue. Select the content item's accessibility score indicator to open the feedback panel.
This feature is disabled by default. Submit a request on Behind The Blackboard to have it turned on. This feature is only available when accessing the institutional report from the LMS and not when using the direct access URL.
Ally creates alternative formats of course files based on the original. These formats are made available with the original file so students can find everything in one convenient location.
You don’t need to do anything. The alternative formats are created for you. If you want, you can disable alternative formats for any individual content item for whatever reason.
Go to a course and open the menu beside a file. Select Alternative formats to see the different formats available and to disable them.