In the Ultra experience, most tools appear in these areas:
- Tools page in the base navigation
- Inside a course
When users select any link from the list in the base navigation, they see a global view across all their courses. They can access the global calendar that captures due dates in all their courses and the grades page that shows all their grading tasks organized by course. No need to navigate to each course to see what's ready for grading.
Administrators can't disable items in the base navigation list.
Other global system tools are available on the Tools page, such as the Content Collection, Goals, Enterprise Surveys, and Portfolios.
Users only see the tools they have access to.
The Ultra experience has two categories of tools:
- These tools are always on in the base navigation. You can't turn them off, but you may be able to make some configurations.
- Most tools are unchanged from Blackboard Learn with the Original experience. The tools appear in the Original Course View. You manage these tools in the Admin Panel > Tools and Utilities > Tools. At this time, you can read more about specific tools in the Self-Hosted deployment admin folder.
- In the Ultra Course View, tools are always available to instructors, such as rubrics, gradebook, assignments, tests, documents, profile, messages, and the roster.
Blackboard Learn has a robust set of tools and the flexibility to add new tools to the platform. The Tools page lists each tool that is available. Each row shows the availability of the tool to authenticated users, guests, and observers.
The guest and observer roles are only available in the Original Course View at this time. Only system tools appear on the Tools page in the Ultra base navigation.
On the Administrator Panel in the Tools and Utilities section, select Tools.
- The type of tool is listed, such as course or organization.
- In the Availability column, change to ON or OFF.
- Lock or unlock the tool availability setting. If locked, instructors can't change the setting at the course or organization level.
- When you select the lock icon, in the Scope of Change column, use the menu to determine where the change is applied, such as for new courses only.
Based on the change, the menu may only have one option.
- In the Available to Guests and Available to Observers columns, if check boxes appear, you can allow these roles access to the tool. You can't make tools with a circle and diagonal line icon available to guests and observers.
- Select Submit to save your changes.
You manage course tools in the Original Course View on the Course Tools page.
Administrators can integrate external tools with Blackboard Learn using the Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) protocol. You can setup these tools within the system and allow access in different areas of Blackboard Learn, including the Tools page of the base navigation in the Ultra Experience.
To place an LTI tool on this page, select System tool on the Manage Placements page for the chosen tool.