For the best Blackboard Learn experience with your screen reader, use Firefox® and Jaws on a Windows® system. On a Mac® use Safari® and VoiceOver. Visit the Accessibility topic to learn more about Blackboard's approach to accessible software.
Blackboard supports five primary browsers for Learn releases. Links to the vendor sites for the browsers are included in this topic.
Run the browser checker to see whether Blackboard Learn supports your browser.
|Browser||Desktop Browser Versions|
|Safari1||9+ (Mac OS only)|
1. WebRTC isn’t presently supported on these browsers, so the Create Recording feature will not work. Both Microsoft and Apple have expressed they intend to support this standard in the future, in both Edge and Safari, respectively. These browsers can play back recordings created by the feature without issue.
2. Support for Internet Explorer ended with Blackboard Learn 9.1 Q4 2018. Older releases may still work using this browser. Microsoft ended active development for Internet Explorer in January 2016. Some newer features in Learn may not work, including Attendance and Create Recording. Reported issues isolated to Internet Explorer will not be resolved by Product Support. We recommend using another browser.
3. Google Chrome versions 42+, Mozilla Firefox versions 52+, and Microsoft Edge don't support NPAPI-type plug-ins, including Java plug-ins and many media browser plug-ins. Blackboard doesn't support these browsers for using embedded media types that require third-party NPAPI plug-ins for viewing.
Supported mobile browsers
|Browser||Mobile Browser Versions||Learn 2016 Theme**||Learn 2012 Theme|
|Safari||With iOS 11+||Compatible||Unsupported|
**Modern mobile browsers are generally considered compatible when using the Learn 2016 system theme and mobile-compatible content. Not all tools and workflows have been optimized for mobile use. Issues reported for tools that aren't yet optimized for mobile devices may be considered an enhancement request.
Tested devices and operating systems
A variety of devices and operating systems were used to test the supported browsers. Support is not limited to these specific operating systems. The desktop browser versions above are supported regardless of the particular device or operating system on which they run.
|Operating Systems used in testing||Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac OS 10.11, Mac OS 10.12, Mac OS 10.13, Chrome OS|
|Chrome OS tested device||Chromebook (Chrome browser; features requiring NPAPI plug-ins are not supported)|
A handful of features in Blackboard Learn require particular additional software to be installed. Without these, the features themselves don't function. The following features have plugin requirements:
- Multiple file uploads in Course Files and Content Collection requires the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from Oracle enabled as a browser plugin. The single file upload tool does not have this requirement. The upload applet is signed by Blackboard and includes a timestamping authority that allows the applet to run even after the certificate has expired.
- The Meeting Room and Blackboard Collaborate synchronous communication features, available via Building Block, require download and installation of the Blackboard Collaborate Launcher application but do not require the Java JRE browser plugin.
The launcher is only required for Blackboard Collaborate with the Original experience. Blackboard Collaborate with the Ultra experience does not require any downloads.
JRE versions 7 and 8 are the recommended versions for features that depend on it. JRE version 6 may work, but could result in unexpected behavior. Oracle has acknowledged some security issues with JRE version 6.
Blackboard Learn does not require any other browser plugins. To learn more about browser plugins, assistive technology, and other supporting software, see the Browser Support Policy topic in this section.
Analytics for Learn browser support
Reports and visualizations available in Analytics for Learn are delivered via third party business intelligence tools from Blackboard partners, specifically Microsoft (Reporting Services) for embedded reports and Pyramid (Pyramid BI Office) for dashboard building. These products have their own commitments to browser support, and so the details below are subject to change based on product decisions made by our partners.
Analytics for Learn reports that display within the Learn interface are supported in all the same browsers as Learn. Standalone Microsoft Reporting Services reports are also supported in the same browsers as Learn. Refer to the Microsoft website for more information on browser support for Microsoft Reporting Services.
To view Pyramid dashboards, an HTML-5 compatible browser is required. To build Pyramid dashboards, an NPAPI-compatible browser is required because the Pyramid builder uses the Microsoft Silverlight plugin. Google Chrome has deprecated NPAPI support, so this browser is incompatible. Firefox or Safari users must install and configure the Silverlight plugin to use it in their browser.
- Blackboard strives to make all its products as accessible as possible. The two most recently available versions of JAWS are used during accessibility testing of each Blackboard Learn release.
- We expanded the support definition by browser types and versions to be inclusive of additional operating systems and formats including mobile and tablet devices.
- Windows XP
- Windows, Mac OS, and Linux systems not running a supported browser
- Internet Explorer
- Firefox versions 48 and lower on desktop
- Chrome versions 49 and lower
- Safari versions 9 and lower
- JRE 5 for Blackboard Learn Original user interfaces