Access Course Settings
Course Settings allows you to customize your course to suit your needs and those of your students. Course Settings appears at the top right corner of an Ultra course if the user has privileges to view or manage settings.
Manage Course Duration
Course Duration defines the time in which students may interact with a course. Students are always allowed to access some courses. Other courses have restrictions so students can only access them for a specific time. This is determined by Course Duration settings.
In addition to system administrators, you (or any user with the correct privileges, such as teaching assistants), can modify the course duration settings for your Ultra courses.
Select Course Settings at the top right corner of your Ultra course. The Course Duration settings appear as a drop-down menu that contains these settings:
- Ongoing. No restriction to access.
- Restrict by dates. Set dates and times for student access to begin, end, or both.
- Restrict by number of days from enrollment. Select the number of days after enrollment in which a student is no longer able to access a course.
- Restricted by the start and end dates of the associated term. This option only appears when a term is defined for the course.
Students can't access unavailable courses regardless of the course duration. Unavailable courses don't appear in the Course Catalog.
You can manage a course's availability from the Courses page.
Manage course tools
You can manage various tools using Course Settings. Whether or not you can enable or disable a tool will be determined by the institutional/node tools configuration.
Select Course Settings at the top right corner of your Ultra course. You can manage:
- Roster tool. If your system administrator has enabled this option, you can allow students access to view the roster by selecting the toggle button. You can also manage student access to the roster visibility on the Roster page itself. If instructors are not permitted to configure settings, this option appears in view-only mode.
- Messages tool. If your system administrator has enabled this option, you can control whether the Messages tool is visible in your course. To make it visible, select the option Allow course messages. When turned off, messages will be sent via email only. If instructors are not permitted to configure settings, this option appears in view-only mode.
For administrators: This feature is available for all Ultra courses. Users must have appropriate System Role or Course Role privileges to manage Course Duration and Course Tools. The Roster tool can only be managed in a course if allowed by settings in the Administrator Panel > Tools.
- Privilege to access the Course Settings panel: Course/Organization Control Panel (Customization) > Properties
- Privilege to modify the Course Duration: Course/Organization Control Panel (Customization) > Properties, Duration
- Privilege to modify course tools: Course/Organization Control Panel (Customization) > Tool Availability
- For Messages: The Ultra Base Navigation must be enabled to control the Messages tool at the Course/Organization Level (Administrator Tool Panel > Tools > Course Messages). Course Messages are ON as Course and Organization tools by default. Administrators can modify the availability and Scope of Change settings by unlocking the padlock button in this setting. For more information, visit the Administrator page for Messages.
Manage virtual classroom
You have the option to turn on or off student access to Class Collaborate. When you turn it off, it will not appear in the Detail & Actions area for anyone in the course. If instructors are not permitted to configure settings, this option appears in view-only mode.
For administrators: This feature is available for all Ultra courses. This setting appears only for institutions with an active Class Collaborate integration. User must have access to the Course settings panel with this privilege: Course/Organization Control Panel (Customization) > Properties and Course/Organization Control Panel (Customization) > Tool Availability Privilege for Virtual classroom section.