Instructors and students can upload files as a part of their courses. If the size of the file or files exceeds the limit specified by an administrator, an error message appears. The message provides information to help the user continue.
Configure the upload error from the Administrator Panel: Under the Tools and Utilities Module, select System Configuration. On the System Configuration page, select File Size Limits.
The upload error displayed to users may include the following:
- maximum upload size
- size of the file(s) the user attempted to upload
- Optional storage locations if the administrator includes this information
- Optional support page link if the administrator includes this information (Ultra Experience Only)
Group File Size limit for ultra courses
For the content editor in Ultra courses, you have the ability to manage file size limits by file extension. This feature applies to Ultra courses except for Content collection direct uploads.
To configure it, open the Administrator Panel. Under the Tools and Utilities Module, select System Configuration. On the System Configuration page, select File Size Limits.
For example, if you want to prevent users from uploading any Word documents, set the file upload extensions for .docx, .doc, .docm, .dotx, .dot, and other Word extensions. Users will not be able to upload any files with those extensions to the course that exceed the limit set by the administrator.
Administrators can specify a maximum file size that applies to files in general. They may also set maximum file sizes by groups defined by file extensions. There are no restrictions on the number of groups an administrator can define.
Here is one example case:
- An institution has a policy of 512MB size limit for most files. The administrator sets that limit for the maximum file size.
- The institution licenses a video platform and wants users to store large videos there. Because of this, the limit for video in Ultra courses will be 25MB.
- The administrator creates a group for video and sets the limit.
- The administrator defines the following file extensions, each separated by a comma. This will restrict all video files .webm, .mkv, .flv, .vob, .ogv, .ogg, .drc, .gif, .gifv, .mng, .avi, .MTS, .M2TS, .TS, .mov, .qt, .wmv, .yuv, .rm, .rmvb, .viv, .asf, .amv, .mp4, .m4p, .m4v, .mp2, .mpe, .mpv, .mpg, .mpeg, .m2v, .svi, .3gp, .3g2, .mxf, .roq, .nsv, .f4v, .f4p, .f4a, .f4b