A user interface that responds to the environment—on your desktop or on the go.
For the best Blackboard Learn experience with your screen reader, use Firefox® and Jaws on a Windows® system. On a Mac® use Safari® and VoiceOver. Visit the Accessibility topic to learn more about Blackboard's approach to accessible software.
|Browser Name||Desktop Browser Versions||Mobile and Tablet Browser Versions|
|Android Browser||Not available||4+|
Google Chrome versions 42+, Mozilla Firefox versions 52+, and Microsoft Edge do not support NPAPI-type plug-ins, including Java plug-ins and many media browser plug-ins. Blackboard doesn't support these browsers for use in the following circumstances: 1) with embedded media types that require third-party NPAPI plug-ins for viewing and 2) the multiple-file upload interface located in the Content Collection, although the other multiple-file upload interfaces are supported on these browsers.
A variety of operating systems were used to test the supported browsers using desktop, tablet, and handheld devices. Support is not limited to these specific devices. Blackboard's most common testing configuration for new features in the Ultra experience is Mac OS + Google Chrome. We conduct additional testing on the latest release for Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, and Microsoft Edge.
|Operating Systems||Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac OS 10.8, Mac OS 10.9, Mac OS 10.10, iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, Chrome OS|
|iOS Devices||iPod Touch , iPhone 4S, iPhone 5S, iPhone5c, iPhone 6, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad Mini 3, iPad Air 2|
|Android Devices||Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5, HTC G1, LG C800 myTouch, HTC One, Galaxy Note 2014, HTC One M8|
|Windows Mobile Devices||Venue 8 Pro, Lumia 520, Lumia 930|
|Chrome OS Devices||Chromebook|
A handful of features in Blackboard Learn require particular additional software to be installed. Without these, the features themselves don't function. The following features have plugin requirements:
- Multiple file uploads in the Content Collection requires the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from Oracle enabled as a browser plugin. The single file upload tool does not have this requirement. The upload applet is signed by Blackboard and includes a timestamping authority that allows the applet to run even after the certificate has expired.
- The Meeting Room and Blackboard Collaborate synchronous communication features, available via Building Block, require download and installation of the Blackboard Collaborate Launcher application but don't require the Java JRE browser plugin.
The launcher is only required for Blackboard Collaborate with the Original experience. Blackboard Collaborate with the Ultra experience does not require any downloads.
JRE versions 7 and 8 are the recommended versions for features that depend on it. JRE version 6 may work, but could result in unexpected behavior. Oracle has acknowledged some security issues with JRE version 6.
Blackboard Learn does not require any other browser plugins. To learn more about browser plugins, assistive technology, and other supporting software, see the Browser Support Policy topic in this section.
Support for features rendered in the Original experience
Some user interfaces in Blackboard Learn in the SaaS deployment have not yet been updated to the Ultra experience. These interfaces include, but are not limited to the following areas:
- Original Course View - using the Blackboard Learn 9.1 Original Course View
- Administrator configuration areas
- Content Collection
- Enterprise Surveys
- Goals Manager
- Outcomes Assessment features
These interfaces are not supported on tablets and hand-held devices, although users may have some success using them on these devices.
Reports and visualizations available in Analytics for Learn are delivered via third party business intelligence tools from Blackboard partners, specifically Microsoft (Reporting Services) for embedded reports and Pyramid (Pyramid BI Office) for dashboard building. These products have their own commitments to browser support, and so the details below are subject to change based on product decisions made by our partners.
Analytics for Learn reports that display within the Learn interface are supported in all the same browsers as Learn. Standalone Microsoft Reporting Services reports are also supported in the same browsers as Learn. Refer to the Microsoft website for more information on browser support for Microsoft Reporting Services.
To view Pyramid dashboards, an HTML-5 compatible browser is required. Older versions of Internet Explorer that have been deprecated by Microsoft are not compatible for viewing Pyramid reports. To build Pyramid dashboards, an NPAPI-compatible browser is required because the Pyramid builder uses the Microsoft Silverlight plugin. Google Chrome has deprecated NPAPI support, so this browser is incompatible. Firefox or Safari users must install and configure the Silverlight plugin to use it in their browser.
- Blackboard strives to make all its products as accessible as possible. The two most recently available versions of JAWS are used during accessibility testing of each Blackboard Learn release.
- We expanded the support definition by browser types and versions to be inclusive of additional operating systems and formats including mobile and tablet devices.
- Windows XP
- Windows, Mac OS, and Linux systems not running a supported browser
- Internet Explorer
- Firefox versions 50 and lower on desktop; all Firefox versions on mobile devices
- Chrome versions 56 and lower
- Safari versions 10 and lower