A user interface that responds to the environment—on your desktop or on the go.
For the best Blackboard Learn experience with your screen reader, use ChromeTM and Jaws on a Windows® system. On a Mac® use Safari® and VoiceOver. Visit the Accessibility topic to learn more about Blackboard's approach to accessible software.
Recent updates to several browsers have included changes to how the browser handles third-party cookies. These changes may affect tools from other providers that integrate with Blackboard Learn. If you have trouble accessing an integrated tool after a browser upgrade, edit your browser’s settings to allow sites to save and read cookie data. You can find instructions for Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge online.
|Desktop Browser Versions||Mobile Browser Base Versions1|
|Safari||13+ (desktop, Mac OS only)||On iOS 12+|
1. Mobile browsers are also supported for the Original experience. Older themes are not supported on these browsers even though users may have success using them. Blackboard App and Blackboard Instructor are supported native apps for mobile and tablet devices that interact with Blackboard Learn servers. These apps may have their own device requirements.
2. A known Microsoft Edge issue has caused problems attaching and submitting open Microsoft Office files in Blackboard Learn courses. To help prevent file submission problems, if you use Microsoft Edge, Learn warns you that you should close files before uploading them. The message only displays the first time you encounter a file upload workflow in a Learn session.
Blackboard recommends JRE versions 7 and 8 for features that depend on it. JRE version 6 might work but could result in unexpected behavior. Oracle has acknowledged some security issues with JRE version 6.
Blackboard Learn does not require any other browser plug-ins. To learn more about browser plug-ins, assistive technology, and other supporting software, see the Browser Support Policy topic in this section.
Analytics for Learn delivers reports and visualizations using third-party business intelligence tools from Blackboard partners, specifically Microsoft (Reporting Services) for embedded reports and Pyramid (Pyramid BI Office) for dashboard building. These products have their own commitments to browser support. As a result, the following details are subject to change based on product decisions made by our partners.
Analytics for Learn reports that display within the Learn interface are supported in all the same browsers as Learn. Standalone Microsoft Reporting Services reports are also supported in the same browsers as Learn. Refer to the Microsoft website for more information on browser support for Microsoft Reporting Services.
To view Pyramid dashboards, an HTML-5 compatible browser is required. To build Pyramid dashboards, an NPAPI-compatible browser is required because the Pyramid builder uses the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in. Google Chrome has deprecated NPAPI support, so this browser is incompatible. Firefox or Safari users must install and configure the Silverlight plug-in to use it in their browser.
This section applies only to Blackboard Learn SaaS users.
Some user interfaces in Blackboard Learn in the SaaS deployment have not yet been updated to the Ultra experience. These interfaces include, but are not limited to the following areas:
- Original Course View - using the Blackboard Learn Original Course View
- Administrator configuration areas
- Content Collection
- Enterprise surveys
- Goals manager
- Outcomes Assessment features
These Original experience interfaces are not supported on tablets and hand-held devices even though users may have some success using them on these devices.