Blackboard Learn SaaS release schedule
Use the dates below to anticipate when your Blackboard Learn environments receive the latest features and maintenance items.
Jump to the Continuous Delivery release schedule
Blackboard Learn uses a combined versioning schema for all deployments of the format: X.Y.Z-rel.abcdefg. Each of the digits and information in the versioning schema has a specific meaning.
- X – the first number in the schema represents the “major” Q2 or Q4 version for a given release. E.g. 3100 = Q4 2016, 3200 = Q2 2017, etc.
- Y – the second number in the schema represents the “minor” version for a given release and is relevant only to SaaS Continuous Delivery customers. E.g. 3100.1 = the first Continuous Delivery release after the 3100 / Q4 2016 release.
- Z – the third number in the schema represents the “point” version for a given release and aligns with Cumulative Updates for major Q2 or Q4 releases available to Self-Hosted, Managed Hosting, and SaaS Flexible Deployment customers. E.g. 3100.0.1 = Cumulative Update 1 for Q4 2016 release.
- -rel.abcdefg – the last piece of information in the schema represents the specific build number for a release. This build number is only relevant for technical troubleshooting and internal Blackboard development systems, and can generally be ignored by most customers. Blackboard Support may request this build number for validation when clients submit support cases.
The build number may differ between a release's stages (Test/Staging and Production). If you notice that a release's build number in your Test or Staging environment doesn't match the release's build number in your Production environment, this is normal and expected.
Each release contains new features or feature enhancements, as well as maintenance items.
Release notes are published on or about the same day a release reaches Test servers.
All releases in continuous delivery are cumulative. For example, v3000.5.0 includes all content from v3000.4.0 and previous releases. Where a cell is marked with a dash ("-"), this release was not applied to the noted environment and changes will be rolled into the next release.
|Release Number||Release to Test Servers*||Release to Production Servers*||Help Documentation Publication Date**|
|TBD||8 December 2020||7 January 2021||4 January 2021|
|TBD||10 November 2020||3 December 2020||30 November 2020|
|TBD||13 October 2020||5 November 2020||2 November 2020|
|v3800.19.0||8 September 2020||1 October 2020||28 September 2020|
|v3800.17.0||11 August 2020||3 September 2020||31 August 2020|
|v3800.15.0||8 July 2020||6 August 2020||3 August 2020|
|v3800.13.0||9 June 2020||2 July 2020||29 June 2020|
|v3800.11.0||15 May 2020||4 June 2020||1 June 2020|
|v3800.9.0||14 April 2020||11 May 2020 (all other regions/time zones)
14 May 2020 (US Eastern)
18 May 2020 (Europe)
|4 May 2020|
|v3800.6.01||10 March 2020||2 April 2020||30 March 2020|
|v3800.4.0||11 February 2020||5 March 2020||2 March 2020|
|v3800.2.02||14 January 2020||3 February 2020
6 February 20203
|3 February 2020|
*These dates are approximate. Your system may be updated a couple days before or after this date.
**Help documentation refers to help topics for students, instructors, and administrators. Release notes are published on or about the same day a release reaches Test servers.
1 This release was formerly numbered 3900.0.0. We bumped the version number to 3800.6.0 to reflect alignment with upcoming 9.1 and SaaS FDO releases. Release dates remain unchanged.
2 Previously, we communicated that we would skip the 3800.2.0 release. Because 3800.2.0 contains only maintenance items, issue resolutions, and minor UI updates, we decided to add this release back to the schedule so that clients can receive these fixes sooner. To allow for necessary Building Block testing with Java 11, 3800.0.0 will be a Test/Staging release only. Production environments will be upgraded to 3800.2.0 directly from 3700.16.0 in February.
3 The 3800.2.0 Production release will be divided by region or time zone to ensure release quality. All upgrades will occur during off-hours in each region or time zone.
- Monday, February 3: Americas Central; Asia and Oceania; Europe, Middle East, and Africa; Americas Mountain; Americas Pacific
- Thursday, February 6: Americas Eastern #1, institution names A–G, Americas Eastern #2, institution names H–R, Americas Eastern #3, institution names S–Z
Learn more about the phased Production release schedule for 3800.2.0
4 This release was formerly numbered 3800.0.0. We bumped the version number to 3700.11.0 to reflect alignment with 9.1 and SaaS FDO releases with compatible Java versions. All subsequent release numbers have been updated to reflect the new number series. Release dates remain unchanged.
Blackboard no longer supports the Flexible Deployment Option for SaaS environments. As of version 3800.15.0, Blackboard Learn SaaS is only delivered in a continuous delivery cadence. For more information, read the bulletin in Behind the Blackboard.