Leveraging the larger Blackboard Cloud infrastructure, the Blackboard Partner Cloud™ allows institutions to access multiple state-of-the-art integrations of high quality educational content within their Learning Management System (LMS) platform through a single "Commercial Content" entry point.
Accessing the Commercial Content Tool offers a single registration and activation process for content partner integration. System administrators have access to the full content inventory available through the Partner Cloud and can efficiently control and manage what commercial content is visible through Blackboard Open LMS. This new distribution vehicle eliminates the cumbersome process of managing old and new versions of building blocks while also providing customers with access to new features and product improvements more quickly.
In moving to this streamlined technology, Blackboard continues to incorporate best practices and deploy consistent and native Blackboard Open LMS workflows for all partner integration, including:
- Single sign-on provides instructors and students with the convenience of one login for all course resources.
- Automated gradebook refresh ensures all assignment grades appear in the LMS Grades, saving instructors' time.
- Deep linking functionality gives faculty greater control over how they deliver information and provides students easy access to their course work.
- Compliance with student data privacy laws, such as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), ensures sensitive student information remains protected and secure.
Configuring partners through the Commercial content tool
Steps: Administration > Site administration > Cloud services > Commercial content
You can configure partners to be enabled through the Partner Cloud by accessing Commercial content in Cloud services.
Partner availability can be toggled ON and OFF by selecting on the partner-specific Availability button.
Each partner can be configured through the contextual menu next to the partner name.
- Selecting View Information launches the partner-specific URL for the system administrator to learn more about the partner.
- Selecting Configure Partner launches the partner-specific setting page for the administrator to configure the partner access.
- Selecting Set Unavailable turns Availability OFF for that partner.
Configuring the partner
Selecting Configure Partner launches the partner-specific settings page where the administrator can configure the integration.
The first step to configuring the partner is to provide the essential system credentials. For most partners, this can be done automatically using the cloud credentials. However, some partners requires non-cloud credentials, and the administrator needs to register with the partner to obtain the appropriate key and secret to populate in Blackboard Open LMS.
A link to Register and obtain consumer key/secret launches the partner configuration page.
- Opening links in a new window: Administrators may have the ability to select whether partner links open in the same window or a new window. For some partners, that option defaults to Yes or No and not allow variation by the system administrator.
- Share user information: Administrators have the option to share user information with each partner. This includes the first name, last name, and email address.
- Share extended data: Partners may enable the option to accept additional SIS data. If that is set, the administrators have the option to share that data.
- Accept grades: Partners may enable the option to send grades back to the LMS. Administrators have the option to accept them or not. Not all partners support gradable content, but the option appears for all partners.
- Add custom parameters: Some partner integration may require additional data to be sent. The custom parameters may be configured here based on implementation instruction from the partner.
Once configuration options are set and submitted without issue a success message displays.