OneTopic course format
The OneTopic course format shows each topic in a tab that appears at the top of the course. It provides user-friendly navigation by returning to the current tab after navigating through resources. You can customize the tabs with colors and CSS to make them stand out for accessibility and visual aesthetics.
The format you use depends on the theme you choose. Not all formats and themes work well together. Onetopic and the Boost, Classic themes work best together.
More on Course Formats on the Moodle website (may be available in English only).
OneTopic course format requires a maintenance and service agreement to use. If you don't see this format listed, please contact your site administrator.
Enable onetopic format
Steps in Snap: Course Dashboard > Course settings > Course format > Format
Steps in other themes: Course administration block > Edit settings > Course format > Format
- Format: Select Onetopic format.
- Number of sections: Select the number of sections you want for your course.
- Hidden sections: This setting determines whether hidden sections are displayed to students in collapsed form or are completely hidden.
- Hide tabs bar: Select No if you don't want to hide the tabs bar on the course pages and Yes if you want to hide the tabs bar. Navigation is done using the sections navbar if the tabs bar is hidden.
- Visualization mode of section 0: Select As tab if you want section 0 to be your first tab in the course or select Before the tabs if you want section 0 to appear as a course summary and not be included in the tabs.
- Use topic summary as template: Uses the summary topic as a template to include resources in the template. To include a resource, write the resource name between double brackets: [[News forum]].
- Show icon in resource links in summary: This option allows icons to appear in the topic summary when used as a template. Select No if you are not using the topic summary as a template.
When editing is turned on in your course, the Tabs edition utilities option appears.
- Asynchronous edit actions - Disable: Use this action to move resources between topic tabs. This selection only impacts the actions taken in the current session. It isn't a permanent disable option.
- Duplicate current topic - Duplicate: Use this action to duplicate the resources of the current topic into a new topic.
Edit topics and tabs
Steps: Course administration block > Turn editing on > Edit section
- Section name: Select Custom to use a custom name for the section.
- Summary: Enter the summary for the section.
- Level: Select if you want this section to be a first-level tab or a child of the previous tab.
- Text of the first tab in sublevel: Enter the name that you want to appear on the first tab in instances of multiple tabs. By default, the tab is named Index.
- Font color: Enter the color you want to use for font color in the section. You can use hexadecimal or RGB values or the color name.
- Background color: Enter the color you want to use for the background color in the section. You can use hexadecimal or RGB values or the color name.
- CSS properties: Used to change the CSS properties of the tab.