Recorded sessions are compressed and saved as MP4s. Recordings include activity in the live session.
- Any content shared or active speaker video. If both are shared during the session, only the content shared is recorded.
- Captions entered during the live session or added later by a moderator. Only one caption track is available. If your session had more than one caption track, only the first available one is captured.
- Chat messages in the Everyone channel. Private messages and chat messages in breakout groups are not recorded.
Only moderators can turn recording on in sessions.
Everyone can view the recordings from any device as often as they want. There are no view limits.
Recordings need to be converted into a playable format before viewing. The first time a recording is accessed the conversion begins. It may take a few minutes but once is has been done the recording can be viewed by everybody.
How do I find the recordings?
You can view recordings in courses you are enrolled in. You may be able to download recordings. Moderators must allow session recording downloads for each session.
Go to Collaborate, open the Menu, and select Recordings or View all recordings.
Not sure where to find Collaborate recordings in your course? Jump to Join Sessions and go to your LMS to learn more.
The recording player has the same look and feel as your Collaborate session. There is a Recording menu similar to the Session menu in your live sessions and recording playback controls.
- Recording menu: Open the Recording menu at the top left of your screen. From here you can download the full recording, download caption transcripts, download chat transcripts, get extra help, or report an issue if you are having trouble with the recording.
- Captions: Captions are available if they are added later by a moderator or live closed captioning is used during the session. Closed captions are on in the recording by default. Select Closed Captions in the playback controls to turn off the captions or adjust the size of the caption font.
You can also download a transcript for the captions from the Recording menu.
- Playback controls: The intuitive playback controls allow you to navigate through the recording the way you want.
- Pause: With your keyboard, press the Spacebar to pause and play the recording.
- Repeat/Forward: With your keyboard, press the Left and Right arrow keys to repeat or skip the recording by 10 seconds.
- Progress: Slide the marker on the progress bar to move through the recording. With a keyboard press Shift + Left arrow or Shift + Right arrow to repeat or skip the recording by 10 seconds.
- Volume: With your keyboard, press the Up and Down arrow keys to increase and decrease the volume by 5%.
- Playback speed: Choose between a range of speeds for the recording playback: 0.5x, 0.75x, 1x, 1.25, 1.5, 2x.
- Closed captions: Select Closed captions to view the captions with the recordings. You can also download a transcript of the captions from the Recording menu.
- Chat messages: Open the Chat panel at the bottom right of your screen to see the complete chat history of the recorded session. To learn more, see Chat messages in recordings.
Don't worry, we'll walk you through it. When you first open the recording player we'll show you where everything you need is.
Open the Chat panel at the bottom right of your screen to see the complete chat history of the recorded session.
Only chat messages in the Everyone channel are recorded. Private messages and breakout group chat messages are not recorded.
As the recording plays the chat messages posted highlight so you can see what was being said during that moment. You can also navigate to a specific location in the recording by selecting a chat message time stamp. If a message is faded, you haven't reached that part of the recording yet.
You can download chat transcripts from the Recording menu.
Chat Recordings and transcripts are only available in the HTML5 recording player.
Download recordings and transcripts
If the moderator has allowed session recording downloads, you can download recordings and transcripts from the recording player Recording menu.
Open the Recording menu at the top left of your screen.
- Download the full recording
- Download caption transcripts
- Download chat transcripts
For the first recording of a session named 'Geography 101', the downloaded recording would look something like: “2022_08_23_14_47__Geography 101_recording 1_a1951db7-0c29-47f3-b90a-c829389bc3b61_recording.mp4”
The time in the recording name is in UTC.
You can also download captions from the main Recordings list.
- From Recordings find a recording with Closed Captions (CC).
- Select the Closed caption options menu and select Download captions.
How do I see captions in the recording I downloaded?
Open the downloaded MP4 in your player. Select the subtitle or caption track in your player so it appears. Some players have subtitles on by default. Others do not.