Name: Blackboard Instructor 3.4
Date Updated: June 15, 2020
Improvements in this release
Modify content settings
Now you can change settings like due dates and visibility for assessments and other content.
Bb Annotate will replace New Box View as the inline annotation tool for assignment file submissions in Blackboard Learn on May 25 through August 10, 2020. Please see the release plan to find out when your institution will upgrade. When your institution has Bb Annotate, you'll also see it in Blackboard Instructor.
Bb Annotate includes these features:
- Improved touch screen and stylus support
- New notation tools such as stamps, images, shapes, and color
- Reusable content library for comments
Bb Annotate release plan (login required)
Bb Annotate transition frequently asked questions (login required)
There is a known issue with Bb Annotate in Blackboard Instructor where users can't print or download submitted assignment files or annotations.
|Blackboard Learn Minimum Versions||Q4 2018 | Q2 2019 | Q4 2019 or Blackboard Learn SaaS*
*The Blackboard Instructor app functions in a limited capacity on older Blackboard Learn releases. Some features may not be available or fully functional on these releases: October 2014 | Q4 2015 | Q2 2016 | Q4 2016 | Q2 2017 | Q4 2017 | Q2 2018
|Mobile Web Services Building Block||
Blackboard recommends using version 94.9.12+ of the Mobile Web Services Building Block to ensure the best experience with the Blackboard Instructo app. The Mobile Web Services Building Block must be activated and registered with the Mobile Central Service to use the Blackboard Instructor app. To learn more, see Release Notes for Mobile Web Services (available in English and Spanish only).
Mobile Web Services Building Block 94.9.6 is required for versions prior to Q4 2015.
|Device OS||iOS 11+
Markets and verticals
Blackboard Instructor is available in all regions, countries, and territories supported by the Google Play and Apple App stores. The app is available to NAHE, ProEd, and K-12 clients for iOS and Android.
Blackboard Instructor is a mobile app that enables instructors to view course content, grade assignments, connect with students in discussions, and interact with their classes in Blackboard Collaborate. Users see all their current courses where they're enrolled as an instructor, TA, course builder, or other custom role.
See the Blackboard Instructor feature guide for a list of tools and capabilities in the app.
Additional notes for administrators:
- Biometric login support.
- Custom logos.
- Institutions can turn off the color display for grading.
- The ability to email instructors from the app's course outline is disabled to better align with institutional communication policies.
- Push notifications.
- Announcements for Ultra and Original courses. Check the minimum system requirements for announcements.
- Apple Files on iOS devices. Learn more about cloud storage services and the app.
- Grade assignments. Learn more about the availability of grading.
- Attach files to discussion posts and schedule announcements and send email copies of announcements. Check the minimum system requirement for discussion attachments.
- The app is available on iOS and Android devices.
- In-app prompt for user reviews shows on the Courses list and Organizations list when users have interacted with the app for a minimum time period. After users leave a review or dismiss the prompt, it doesn't show again.
- Users can download and view course files offline. Check the minimum B2 requirements for the offline content feature. User activity in downloaded offline content is logged in Blackboard Data.
- Supports courses, organizations, and custom roles. the Mobile Web Services Building Block version 94.9.8+ is required for organizations and custom roles.
- You can use custom labels for login fields, to make it clear what credential to use.
- Collaborate Ultra sessions can be launched from courses in the app. Users are directed to a web browser to join the session.
- Supported Files in Mobile Apps provides a list of supported file types by platform.
- Blackboard Instructor contains data caching for portions of the application. Here are the Mobile Backend as a Service (MBaaS) cache expiration times:
- 30-second expiration on the course list and course overview. This expiration is user specific.
- 120 minutes on basic course information such as course id, name, and description. This expiration is system wide.
- 120 minutes on school search with MLCS. This expiration is system wide.
The language of the app comes from the device's operating system, not the Blackboard Learn language preference. Language settings affect the app interface, but not course content.
- Portuguese (Brazil)
- Portuguese (Portugal)
- Simplified Chinese
- Traditional Chinese
- UK English
- US English
Blackboard recommends using version 94.9.12+ of the Mobile Web Services building block to ensure the best experience with Blackboard Instructor. The Mobile Web Services building block must be activated and registered with the Mobile Central Service to use Blackboard Instructor. To learn more, see Release Notes for Mobile Web Services (available in English only).
Mobile Backend as a Service (MBaaS).
Instructors can follow these steps to download and install the Blackboard Instructor app.
- From your device, access the appropriate online store.
- Search for Blackboard Instructor.
- Install the app on your mobile device.
- Open Blackboard Instructor and search for the full name of your institution.
If you’re unable to find your institution, try modifying your search. If your school is part of a larger institution or district, try searching for that name instead.
- Log in with your Blackboard Learn username and password. These are the same credentials you use to access your Blackboard courses on a computer.
If you have questions, please reach out to our Blackboard Technical Support team on Behind the Blackboard (available in English only).
*Statements regarding our product development initiatives, including new products and future product upgrades, updates or enhancements represent our current intentions, but may be modified, delayed or abandoned without prior notice and there is no assurance that such offering, upgrades, updates or functionality will become available unless and until they have been made generally available to our customers.
Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
©2020 Google LLC All rights reserved. Google Play and Android are trademarks of Google LLC