Open Education powered by Blackboard is a free, fully supported cloud offering for Blackboard customers who are interested in offering Open Online Courses and MOOCs to the public. With this platform, you can manage your initiative through a primary administrator account.
Administrators can perform the following tasks:
- Create the institution's profile in the system. Extend the institution brand and market your open education initiative by completing and publishing the Institution Details page.
- Invite additional institution administrators.
- Create courses on behalf of your institution.
- Define and publish a Courses Details page to market each course.
- Invite instructors to join the system.
Because this is a shared platform, you do not have the same administrator privileges as you have in your institution's Blackboard Learn environment.
The platform is powered by the latest release of Blackboard LearnTM and also provides you with free access to the Blackboard app for students, Blackboard Open Content, and Connect for Learn (U.S. and Canada only). Students can download the Blackboard app and search for Open Education as the school name. Students use their Open Education login credentials to access courses.
Open Education by Blackboard Home Page
Open Education by Blackboard is hosted at https://openeducation.blackboard.com. The platform's home page is available before and after logging in, although different information appears.
Click the images in the table to enlarge them in your browser and make the text readable. Use your browser's back button to return to the topic.
|Public View Before Logging In||User View After Logging In|
Visitors can learn more about the platform, search for open education courses to enroll in, view which institutions are offering these opportunities, register their institutions, and log in.
|After logging in, you are welcomed by name on the home page. You have access to information based on your role in the system. For example, administrators see a System Admin tab.
Users may search for courses, enroll in courses, and access the courses they are enrolled in.
Create an account and register your institution
- On the home page, click Register Your Institution and complete the form.
- A Blackboard representative will verify that you are a Blackboard customer and contact you to discuss your needs and initiative.
- You will receive an email invitation with a link to set up your administrator account. For your security, the invitation expires after seven days. Click Accept Your Invitation.
- On the next screen, click Create Account and provide your user information.
- After registering successfully, you will receive an email with links that may interest you. Also, your browser opens to the Administrator Panel. A success message appears below the page header stating that you have the role of institution administrator. You can explore the tabs in the page header or start creating courses and inviting other administrators.