Partial and negative credit improvements for the Multiple Choice / Multiple Select question type – 3900.69
Blackboard Learn SaaS
Ultra Course View
Multiple Choice and Multiple Answer questions are graded automatically. Answers are scored based on the instructor-selected scoring option.
In the past, instructors could select from the following scoring options:
- All or nothing. A student must select all the correct answer choices to receive credit. If a student selects one or more incorrect answer choices, they earn no points.
- Allow partial credit. A student receives partial credit if they correctly answer part of the question.
- Subtract points for incorrect answers. A student will have points subtracted for incorrect answer choices. This option discourages guessing. The overall question score is not less than zero.
With the partial credit and subtract points options, all answer choices were equally weighted. Instructors could not control how much partial and negative credit is awarded for each correct and incorrect answer.
To provide instructors with more control, we have made some changes. Now instructors can turn on partial and negative credit. This option allows instructors to:
- Define a positive percentage value to award credit for a correct answer(s)
- Enter a negative percentage value to subtract for an incorrect answer(s)
- Allow a negative overall score for the question
Image 1: Instructor view of the improved partial and negative credit scoring options
This improvement reduced the number of default answer options from 4 to 3. Instructors can still add additional answer options if required.
For administrators: This feature is available for all Ultra courses. There are no configurations needed.