Each Personalized Learning Designer (PLD) rule is made up of three parts, an event, a condition, and an action.
Use events as triggering items for PLD rules. You can have one or multiple events for a PLD rule. You can choose if you want all or any of the events to be triggered to enable the rule.
- Activity completed - Triggered when an activity is either manually or automatically marked as complete.
- Activity graded - Triggered when an activity is manually or automatically graded.
- Activity viewed - Triggered when an activity or resource is viewed.
- Quiz or assignment submitted - Triggered when a quiz or assignment has been submitted. Often used to release new content without waiting for manually graded items.
- Forum reply - Triggered when a user replies to a forum topic or to another user's reply to a forum topic.
- Forum topic post - Triggered when a user posts a top-level forum topic within a forum.
- User added to group - Triggered when a user has been manually added to a group, or added by a different rule in the PLD.
- User removed from group - Triggered when a user has been manually removed from a group, or removed by a different rule in the PLD.
- Course entered - Triggered when a user enters the course for the first time during a day. Leaving the course to visit other Blackboard Open LMS courses and pages will reset the trigger.
- Course grade change - Triggered when any grade in the course changes the course grade.
- Specific date and time - Triggered at a specific date and time as scheduled by the rule creator. This date can be set in the future to check conditions at that point. Note that this event does not have a triggering activity.
- Recurring event - Triggered at specific dates and times in the future as scheduled by the rule creator. This event can be scheduled to occur daily or weekly at a specific time of day.
Use the conditions to create the conditions for when a rule is triggered. You can have one or multiple conditions for a PLD rule. You can choose if you want all or any of the conditions to be met to enable the rule.
- Activity viewed - Checks if an activity or resource has been viewed by the user who triggered the rule.
- Activity completed - Checks if an activity has been marked as complete for the user who triggered the rule. Requires completion tracking to be enabled for the site and the course.
- Activity grade range - Checks if the grade for an activity is within configurable bounds. For activities which allow multiple submissions, the grade used is the overall grade for the activity, not necessarily the most recent submission.
- User role check - Checks if the user who triggered the event is a member of a certain role. This may be useful to prevent some rules from triggering for educators.
- Group membership check - Checks if a user is within a specific group.
- Course grade range - Checks if a course grade is within a specific range.
- Course login - Checks to see if the user has logged into the course in a certain number of days.
- Date check - Checks if an event takes place before or after a designated date.
Use actions to choose what happens when a rule is triggered.
- Display alert - Sends an alert to the triggering user. The user must acknowledge the alert before proceeding.
- Send email - Sends an email to the triggering user.
- Go to activity - Sends the user to a specific activity or resource in the course.
- Go to URL - Sends the user to another website, specified by the URL entered.
- Lock release code - Makes content hidden by a release code unavailable to the triggering user.
- Unlock release code - Makes content hidden by a release code available to the triggering user.
- Add user to group - Makes a user part of a specific course group.
- Remove user from group - Removes a user from a specific course group.
- Enroll user in course - Enrolls a user in a specific course. Enroll actions are editable only if the user meets one of the sets of permissions needed to search courses and when the role is assignable by the user in the destination course. For courses with self-enroll, only roles based off the student archetype permissions are editable.