What is a web link?
Web links allow users to easily refer to content contained outside of your Ultra course. Use a web link to link to a website you want students to access alongside other materials in your course. For example, you may want to direct students to an external dictionary or thesaurus to use during a writing assignment.
Using web links
To add a link, select Create from the plus option on the Course Content page where you want your link to appear. This opens the Create Item panel. Select the Link option.
This opens a New Link page with two tabs:
- Create Web Link (for linking to websites external to a course)
- Create Course Link (for linking to content within a course)
Select the Create Web Link tab to add a web link.
Web links can be created in the content editor as well as the Create Item panel.
Make the following selections in the Create Web Link tab:
- Student visibility. Choose whether your new link should be visible to students.
- Display Name (required field indicated by red asterisk). Choose a display name for your new link. This name will appear on the Course Content page where you created the web link.
- Link URL (required field indicated by red asterisk). Choose a URL to link to.
- Open in a new window. Web links allow you to choose whether you want your linked content to open in a new window. Opening links in a new window is generally considered best practice, especially for external websites. This avoids browser security features blocking content from loading. Select Open in a new window for this option.
- In other situations, you may prefer linked content to open in a panel in the Ultra course. For example, when content is hosted on the Learn environment or on the institution’s website, the content is less likely to be blocked. Opening content in a panel in the Ultra course is a better experience for students. In this case, unselect Open in a new window.
- Additional Tools (Goals & Standards). You need to save the link before you can edit Goals & standards. Save and return to this link to edit.
- Description. Create a description or instructions for your students. Maximum 750 characters.
Once you've made your selections, select Save to create the web link or Cancel to return to the Course Content page. A web link appears on the Course Content page with a link icon next to the display name.
Some content won't display on a panel in the Ultra course. A banner appears warning the student that some content may not be displayed unless opened in a new window. The student can choose to open the content in a new window or close the banner.
For administrators: This feature is available for all Ultra courses. No configurations are needed.