The content editor is a platform-independent WYSIWYG editor based on TinyMCE and licensed as Open Source under LGPL from Moxiecode Systems AB. The content editor has a large number of new and enhanced features and serves as a replacement for the old text editor.
With the content editor, users can create professional, vibrant content wherever they can create blocks of text.
Summary of features in the content editor:
- Supported on nearly every major web browser currently available.
- Lightweight editing engine is much smaller and faster to load than most other web-based HTML editors.
- Users can switch between a compact single-line action bar containing only the basic formatting options, or an expanded action bar containing every available option.
- List numbering and bullet choices.
- Symbols, block quotes, horizontal rules, and emoticons.
- HTML and CSS (cascading style sheet) editing capabilities.
- Advanced table creation and editing controls.
- Advanced presentation and formatting controls for added objects.
- Expanded support for different file formats, including graphic images, media, mashup objects, and more.
- A single powerful but easy-to-use visual mathematics editor, the WIRIS Formula Editor, replacing both WebEQ and MathML.
- Multi-language support both within the content editor itself, as well as the ability to load custom spell check dictionaries based on the myspell/hunspell dictionary format.
Your institution is responsible for licensing for any uploaded dictionaries.
To set the availability of the spell check and math editor features, on the Administrator Panel in the Tools and Utilities section, select Tools.
On the Tools page, you can set both Math Editor and Spell Check availability:
- System Tool: Always On or Always Off
- Course Tool: Always On, Always Off, Default On, or Default Off
- Organization Tool: Always On, Always Off, Default On, or Default Off
The Math Editor and Spell Check features are not available to guest users or observers.
The WIRIS Formula Editor is a fully-featured mathematics editor which can enable users to compose formulas using a simple visual editing tool, and then embed these equations in the content as high-quality, compact .png images.
To configure the Math Editor Image Service, on the Administrator Panel in the Tools and Utilities section, select Math Editor Image Service.
The Math Editor Image Service page appears.
- Service Protocol: Select HTTP (unsecured) or HTTPS (secured).
- Host: Host name (should be the same as the server on which Blackboard Learn is installed).
- Image Service Port: The port number used (80 is the default).
- Service Path: The directory location on the host where math image files are rendered.
- Codebase Path: The directory location on the host where the math image service applet files are installed.
The Math Editor, created by WIRIS, is not currently accessible by screen readers.
The accessibility features of the WIRIS editor make mathematics available to all users. The WIRIS editor takes advantage of the accessibility features in web browsers. Users don't have to install additional software to deliver content with accessible formulas.