How do I send email?
In the Original Course View, you can access course messages from the Tools page or from a link on the course menu.
- On the course menu, select Tools > Send Email.
- On the Select Users or Select Groups page, select the recipients in the Available to Select box and select the right-pointing arrow to move them into the Selected box. A back arrow is available to move a user out of the recipient list. Select Invert Selection and the selected users are no longer highlighted and those users that weren't selected are highlighted.
For Windows, to select multiple users in a list, press the Shift key and select the first and last users. To select users out of sequence, press the Ctrl key and select each user needed. For Macs, use the Command key instead of the Ctrl key. You can also use the Select All option to send an email to all users.
- Type your Subject and Message. A copy of the message is sent to the sender. A receipt page appears after the message is sent that lists all the recipients.
- Select Attach a File to browse for files from your computer. You can attach multiple files. After you add one file, the option to attach another file appears.
- Select Submit.
Watch a video about using email in Blackboard Learn
The following narrated video provides a visual and auditory representation of some of the information included on this page. For a detailed description of what is portrayed in the video, open the video on YouTube, navigate to More actions, and select Open transcript.
Video: How to Send Email in Blackboard Learn
Troubleshooting email in courses
The course email tool is a send-only tool in the Original Course View. You receive emails from Blackboard in your external email program, such as Gmail or Yahoo, not in Blackboard itself. You can send messages directly from your course to others users' external email accounts. Email replies also go to the external email account.
- How do I make my email address visible? Your email address isn't visible unless you choose to make it visible to course members. To change this setting, visit the My Blackboard menu > Settings > Personal Information > Set Privacy Options.
- Can I change my external email address? You can change your email address used in your courses. Go to the My Blackboard menu > Settings > Personal Information > Edit Personal Information. Then, type your preferred email address and select Submit.
- Why was my email not delivered?
- Blackboard Learn will NOT recognize files or email addresses with spaces or special characters, such as #, &, %, and $. Use only letters and numbers in file names and addresses.
- Don't send email through Blackboard without a subject line. If the subject line is blank, the message might not be delivered correctly.
- Can I access a record of my email? The Original Course View doesn't keep a record of emails in Blackboard. When you receive or send an email, the email appears in the inbox of your external email client. Keep a copy of important messages in case you need them at a later date.