Announcements are an ideal way to post time-sensitive information critical to course success. Add announcements for these types of course activities:
- Due dates for assignments and projects
- Changes to your syllabus
- Corrections/clarifications of materials
- Exam schedules
You can add, edit, and delete announcements from the Announcements page. When you add an announcement, you can also send it as an email to students in your course. Students will receive the announcement even if they don't log into your course.
If you see a list where your name appears, you can access the activity stream. Original Course View announcements appear in the stream. Students see the announcements in the Today or Recent sections of their streams.
Watch a video about announcements
This video explains how to create an announcement in Blackboard Learn.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Ultra" help about creating an announcement.
Announcements appear in the order you post them. The most recent announcement appears first.
- On the Control Panel, go to Course Tools > Announcements.
- Select Create Announcement on the action bar.
- Type a Subject, which appears as the title of the announcement on the Announcements page.
- Type your message.
- In the Web Announcements Options section, choose to restrict the announcement by date or not.
- If you choose Not Date Restricted, the announcement is visible until you remove it.
- If you choose Date Restricted, select the Display After and Display Until check boxes to enable the date and time selections. Provide the date and time restriction settings.
- Select the Email Announcement check box to send students an email containing the announcement. The email is sent to all students, even those who choose not to receive announcement notifications through email. Your institution controls if this option is available.
- Optionally, in the Course Link section, select Browse to link to a course area, tool, or item.
Links to course content won't appear in the email announcement if you choose to send one.
- Select Submit.
On the Announcements page, use the bar to reposition and prioritize your announcements. Drag the bar to reorder announcements to new positions on the page. Move priority announcements above the bar to pin them to the top of the list and prevent new announcements from superseding them.
Students will see announcements in the order you choose. Students don't see the bar and can't reorder announcements.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Ultra" help about editing an announcement.
To edit or delete an announcement, select Edit or Delete in its menu. The delete action is final and irreversible.
Announcements help you share important information with others in your course. Unlike messages, announcements appear immediately when a student opens a course. Students are less likely to ignore the information you share in a course announcement because it demands attention before viewing course content.
Find course announcements in the Details & Actions area of the Course Content page.
View all your course announcements in one place. The Course Announcements page lists all announcements in your course, including each announcement’s status and number of viewers. You can create, copy, edit, and delete announcements on this page.
- Search or sort the list. You can sort announcements using the title, status, or number of viewers. If you’re looking for something more specific, use the search function to find announcements by title or message content.
- Create a new announcement. You can create a blank announcement or copy an existing one to use as a template.
- View the status. Announcements have three states: Posted, Scheduled, and Drafted. An announcement’s status is shown along with its content. You can also view the number of course announcements by status at the top of the page.
- Manage announcements. You can edit or delete announcements from this page.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Original" help about creating an announcement.
Select Create announcement on the Course Content page to get started. If this is your first time creating an announcement in the course, the New Announcement page appears.
Type a title and message text for the announcement. Select Save to save your announcement draft. Select Post in the Status column of the Course Announcements page to post the announcement immediately. You can also schedule announcements to start and end at certain times.
After you’ve created and posted announcements in your course, the count of posted and total announcements appears on the Course Content page.
You may want to create announcements for future events, such as a reminder about a course event or exam. You can schedule announcements to post automatically in your course at the date and time you specify. You can also use the schedule feature to have announcement disappear when no longer relevant.
As you create an announcement, select Schedule announcement. Choose a date and time to start and stop displaying the announcement for students.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Original" help about editing an announcement.
You can edit any announcement in your course, including past, active, and scheduled announcements. On the Course Announcements page, select the More Options menu to manage an announcement.
Select Edit to change an announcement’s title or message. You can also edit the announcement’s scheduled posting.
Select Delete to permanently remove the announcement from your course.
Select Copy to duplicate an announcement. You may find it helpful to create a template announcement and duplicate it for announcements that use a similar format.
Active course announcements appear the first time each student enters the course after the announcement is posted. Announcements appear before the student can access the Course Content page. After the student dismisses the announcement, it won’t appear immediately when the student accesses the course in the future.
Active announcements also appear in the Today and Recent sections of the Activity Stream. The announcement disappears from the Activity Stream when the student dismisses it within the course.
If an announcement is still active, students can access the announcements they’ve dismissed. On the Course Content page, students can select View archive to read past, active announcements in the course.
Scheduled announcements only appear on the Course Content page and in the archive on the dates and times you selected.