You can manage the notification settings for all of the courses you teach or are enrolled in. From the global navigation menu, select Settings and then select Edit Notifications Settings.
Your institution determines which options are available to you in these areas.
- Edit General Settings: Select your email format — individual messages for each notification or daily digest — and the reminder schedule for due dates.
- Bulk Edit Notification Settings: Change the notification settings for all of your courses at once. You can select which notification types you want to recieve and the method of delivery.
- Edit Individual Course Settings: Change the notification settings for a single course.
- Edit Individual Organization Settings: Change the notification settings for a single organization.
If your institution has defined the notification settings, those settings take precedence over your settings.
Watch a Tutorial
Double-click the video to enlarge the viewing area.
How to Select General Notification Settings
The general settings enable you to specify whether you want to receive notifications by email and if you want due date reminders.
- From the global navigation menu, select Settings and then select Edit Notifications Settings.
- On the Edit Notification Settings page, click Edit General Settings.
- On the General Settings page, you can choose to receive an email for each notification or a daily digest email that compiles all of the notifications for that day.
- Individual Messages: Emails are sent for each notification. The exception to this is that the digest selection is necessary for email notifications for unread discussion board messages, unread blog posts, and unread journal entries.
- Daily Email Digest: All notifications are collected and sent once per day at a time set by your institution.
- Select Yes to set due date reminders for notifications. Set the number of days before the due date you want to be notified. This email reminder is sent as a digest email or as individual emails, depending upon the option you select.
- Click Submit.
How to Turn Notifications On and Off and Select Delivery Methods
You can select which notification types you receive and the methods used to deliver them to you.
- From the global navigation menu, select Settings and then select Edit Notification Settings.
- On the Edit Notification Settings page, select the link for Courses I am taking or Courses I am teaching to change notification settings for all courses at once.
Alternatively, you can make selections for individual courses by selecting a course name under Edit Individual Course Settings. The Current Notification Settings page appears and provides the same options.
- On the Change Settings page, check that your Notification Destinations are correct. If not, change them in your Personal Information.
- Under Settings, select how your notifications are delivered by selecting the check box at the top of a column or by selecting check boxes for individual tools or features. Remove the check mark for any notification that you do not wish to receive.
- Dashboard - By default, all notification types appear in My Blackboard's Updates and Posts pages and in course home pages. They also appear in the Notifications Dashboard if your institution licensenes Community Engagement.
- Email - email notification messages are sent to the email address you provided in your Personal Information.
- Mobile: This column appears if your institution has enabled Blackboard Mobile Learn. Choose which push notifications you want to appear on your mobile device. Push notifications appear on your device's screen without having to open the Blackboard Mobile Learn app. The notifications you can receive include:
- Announcement Available
- Content Item Available
- Course or Organization Available
- Item Graded
- Test Available
- Test Due
- Test Overdue
- SMS - This column appears if your institution has enabled this feature. A text message is sent to the phone number you provided in your Personal Information.
- Text-to-Voice - This column appears if your institution has enabled this feature. A voice message is sent to the phone number you provided in your Personal Information.
- After making your notification selections, click Submit.
Email, mobile, SMS, and text-to-voice notifications are turned off by default. If you wish to receive notifications in these ways, you need to select them. If you do not see a column for a notification method, that option is not available at your institution.
For the following items, you can select email notifications only if daily digest email is selected in Edit General Settings. If you have not selected daily digest email, the selction box for these items is not available.
- Unread discussion board messages
- Unread blog posts
- Unread journal entries
How to Enable SMS (Text) and Text-to-Voice Notifications
SMS and Text-to-Voice messages are available if your institution enables these features. These message types are delivered by the Blackboard Learn system every 20 minutes by default. Your institution can set a delivery time frame so that you don't send or receive messages in the middle of the night. Messages that are created outside of the delivery time frame are held until the next time frame begins. This time frame affects only SMS and Text-to-Voice messages.
SMS (Short Message Service) enables instructors to send text messages from a Blackboard Learn course to students' mobile phones. Instructors need to initiate a message before students can reply.
Text-to-Voice reads aloud notifications sent to your phone. This option is only available when the system default language pack is set to English or Spanish.
If your institution has set up SMS and Text-to-Voice messages, the features are listed on your Edit Notification Settings page. Instructors choose whether or not to use these tools. To receive SMS and Text-to-Voice messages on your phone, you must list a mobile phone number on your Personal Information page and subscribe to those notification types in your notification settings.
- On the Edit Notification Settings page, under Bulk Edit Notification Settings, select Courses I am Taking.
Alternatively, you can make selections for individual courses by selecting a course name under Edit Individual Course Settings.
- On the Change Settings page, verify that your Notification Destinations contain the correct mobile phone number and email address. If they are incorrect or blank, edit them in your Personal Information.
- On the Change Settings page, subscribe to SMS and Text-to-Voice notifications by selecting the check boxes in those columns. You can subscribe to all listed notifications by selecting the check box at the top of a column.
- Click Submit.