Contacts is a place where you add profile information about yourself and other staff that is distributed to students. This is a good location to provide information about office hours, phone numbers, and other links to help students find the people who have important roles in the course
You can combine groups of selected contact information into folders. For example, you can create a folder named Teaching Assistants and assign all TA contacts to that folder.
How to Create or Edit a Contact
- On the course menu, click the Tools link. On the Tools page, select Contacts.
On the Control Panel, expand the Course Tools section and select Contacts.
- On the Contacts page, click Create Contact.
To edit, access the item's contextual menu and select Edit.
- On the Create Contact page, provide the necessary Profile Information. The Office Location, Office Hours, and Notes fields have a 255-character limit.
- Select Yes to Make the Contact Available to students. If you select No, none of the information provided on the page appears to students.
- Optionally, for Attach Image, click Browse to search for a image. This image is included next to the profile on the Contacts page. The image size must be 150 x 150 pixels.
- Optionally, for the Personal Link, type the URL for the contact’s home page. When adding a URL, include the full address and protocol. For example, http://www.blackboard.com. This link appears with the profile on the Contacts page.
- Click Submit. The contact's profile appears on the Contacts page.
How to Create or Edit a Contacts Folder
- On the Contacts page, click Create Folder.
To edit, access the folder's contextual menu and select Edit.
- On the Create Folder page, select a Name from the drop-down list or type a new name.
- Select a color for the folder name.
- Type a description of the folder in the Text box.
- Select Yes to make the folder available.
- Click Submit. The folder appears on the Contacts page.
How to Add a Contacts Link to the Course Menu
If you want students to access the contacts tool often, you can add a link to the course menu for one-click access to the tool. You can customize the name of the link to fit your needs.
- Change Edit Mode to ON and point to the plus sign above the course menu. The Add Menu Item drop-down list appears.
- Select Tool Link.
- Type a Name for the link.
- From the Type drop-down list, select Contacts.
- Select the Available to Users check box.
- Click Submit.
The new tool link appears last in the course menu list. Press and drag the arrows icon to move the link into a new position. Access the link's contextual menu to rename, delete, or hide the link from students, or permit guests to access the link.
Creating a Course Contact (Flash movie | 1m 50s)