You can read this page in its entirety, or click the Table of Contents icon in the upper-right and choose a topic that interests you.
A space is a group that you can easily and quickly create to collaborate with other users. For example, you can create a space for a final exam study group, your athletic team, or any other special interest. Spaces are not the same as organizations. Spaces can be created and managed by anyone.
Access the spaces you belong to through the global navigation menu. If prompted, you must accept the terms of service and provide an email address before accessing this tool for the first time.
If you do not see the spaces tool, your school has not turned it on.
- Access the spaces you manage and belong to.
- Browse public spaces at your school to join.
- Create a space. When you create a space, you are automatically made the manager of the space. You can promote other users to manage the space also.
- Respond to space invitations.
How to Search Spaces
- Click the All Spaces link located below the Create a Space button.
- All public spaces appear in the right frame.
- Type keywords in the Search box and press the ENTER key. The search results display in the right frame.
- Point to a space to view it or request to join it.
How to Create a Space
- Click Create a Space.
- Type a name for the space.
- Optionally, invite space members and click Get Started.
- Click More Options.
- Add an image.
- Invite space members.
- Select the space category and type a description.
- Set the privacy options.
- Click Save Edits.
Edit a Space
On the Space page, click Edit Space. From here, you can change the space name, picture, category, description, privacy settings, and membership.
Space Privacy and Joining Options
The privacy settings in your space set how your space appears in My Blackboard and in member profiles. Read each option on the Edit My Space page carefully to set users who can find and join your space.
- Public Spaces are discoverable using search and anyone can join.
- Protected Spaces are discoverable to search, but to join you must request access from the manager or be invited by the manager.
- Private Spaces are not discoverable using search, and can only be joined by invitation from the manager. Private spaces are not displayed on a member’s profile.
Post and Comment on Space Wall
Use your space wall to update and have conversations with those who follow the space.
- Provide information in the Share Something field and click Post.
- Comment on a user’s post. Hover over a post or comment and click Comment.
- To edit, hover over one of your own posts or comments and click Edit. An “EDITED” label appears to make it clear (a) that the post or comment has been edited from its original state and (b) when the most recent edit occurred.
From the space's edit page, you can manage current membership and pending invitations. In the Space Membership area:
- Click Manage to view current space members. Hover over a member to make him or her a manager or remove the member from the space.
- Click Invite to invite new members to join the space. From the Invite page, you can view pending invitations. Click the X next to a pending invitation to rescind it.
- View the list of current Managers and Members.
When you invite a user to become a member of your space from the space's Edit page, the invitation shows on their Spaces page in My Blackboard. The invited user can accept or decline the invitation.