Do You Have the Updates?
Click the images in the table to enlarge them in your browser and make the text readable. Use your browser's back button to return to the topic.
How to Determine if You Have Discussions Updates
|Updated Discussions ||Discussions Not Updated |
|If your thread page looks like this, the information on this page applies to you. You have the updated discussion board if you have the Expand All and Collapse All buttons below the thread name. ||If your Thread Detail page looks like this, your school has not installed the discussion board updates. You do not have the updated discussion board if you do not see the Expand All and Collapse All buttons below the thread name. |
For information that applies to your system, see Discussion Board.
Thread Page Updates
The thread page is thoroughly redesigned yet maintains all of its existing functions. All of a thread's posts are now visible at the same time on one page. Larger avatars help you easily identify the author.
- Expand All and Collapse All manage the visibility of posts on the page. All of the batch actions are still available.
- Functions appear when you point to the page - point your mouse anywhere on the thread page, and action bar functions such as Search and Refresh appear at the top. When you point to a post, the Reply, Quote, and Expand or Collapse functions appear. This increases the vertical screen space available for viewing posts.
- Click the number of unread posts to see a collection of only the unread posts in the thread.
- Inline replies provide the content editor on the same page, within the context of the discussion. You are not taken to a new page to post a reply.
- Posts made by forum managers and moderators highlight the user’s course role and forum role. If your school has custom roles, they are displayed. Role highlighting is available only in the discussion board; highlighting of discussion board posts within the Bb Stream will be available in a future Learn release.
- New Mark as Read indicator. The icon is blue when the post is unread and white when it has been read. Posts are marked as read as you scroll down the page, after a slight delay. Only posts that are viewed on-screen and expanded are marked as read, so posts are not automatically marked read by quickly scrolling down the page. You can manually change the status of a message by clicking the Mark as Read icon.
- Post dates are displayed as relative dates such as "7 days ago." When you point to the relative date, the absolute date of creation or editing and the number of views displays.
- Overall Rating shows the average rating for a post, if the Rate Posts feature is turned on. When you point to the rating area, it changes to show Your Rating.
Forum Descriptions display when users create a thread and when they encounter a thread with the post first setting. Forum descriptions are often used as prompts for discussion, so they are now visible where users are posting.
Forum Settings are grouped into related areas on the page, making it easier to scan and select options. Settings that are not available based on the current selections are grayed-out or have strike-through text.
- You can choose between Standard View, the default, and Participants must create a thread in order to view other threads in this forum, which is the post first setting.
- When the post first setting is applied, various settings are automatically set and made unavailable for change to maintain the integrity of the post first capability. For example, allowing the author to delete their own posts is turned off to avoid a student posting something first to see others’ posts, and then editing their post after the fact.
- The new default for subscribing is Allow members to subscribe to forum.
- Post First Setting - instructors can require students to post to a discussion before seeing other students’ posts.When students encounter forums with the post first setting, a message tells them to create their own thread before they can view threads added by other users.
To learn about the existing functions that were not updated, see Discussion Board.