You can create a group assignment and release it to one or more groups within your course. Each group submits one collaborative assignment and all members receive the same grade. You can create a single assignment and assign it to all groups, or create several unique assignments and assign them to individual groups. Only you and the members in a group have access to the assignment.
The overall grade for an assignment can appear to users as a numeric value, letter grade, percentage, text, or as complete/incomplete, depending upon the primary display choice for the column created automatically in the Grade Center for the assignment.
Prerequisites and Cautions
- A course groups must exist prior to creating group assignments for it.
- Students who are enrolled in more than one group receiving the same assignment will be able to submit more than one attempt for this assignment. You may need to provide these students with an overall grade for the assignment.
- Students who are not enrolled at the time that a group assignment has been submitted do not have access to that submission. These students can see only that the submission occurred.
- Students who are removed from a group cannot see the group assignments. They can access their submissions from My Grades.
- If you edit the assignment between creation and the due date, the entire group may lose any work already in progress.
- If you delete a group from the assignment after they have begun the work and prior to submission, they will lose access to the assignment and lose their work.
How to Create a Group Assignment
To create a group assignment, change Edit Mode to ON.
- Access the course area where you want to create the group assignment, such as the Assignments content area.
- On the action bar, point to Assessment to access the drop-down list.
- Select Assignment.
- On the Create Assignment page, type a Name. On the group homepage, group members click this name to access the assignment. Optionally, provide instructions and use the content editor functions to format the text and include files, images, web links, multimedia, and mashups.
- Optionally, in the Assignment Files section, attach a file using one of the following options:
- To upload a file from your computer, click Browse My Computer.
- To upload a file from the course's storage repository:
- If Course Files is the course's storage repository, click Browse Course.
- If your school licenses content management, click Browse Content Collection.
- Type the Points Possible, and optionally, associate a rubric.
- Select the check box to Make the Assignment Available.
- Select the option for Number of Attempts.
- Select the Display After and Display Until check boxes to enable the date and time selections. Use the pop-up Date Selection Calendar and Time Selection Menu to select dates and times or type dates and times in the boxes. Display restrictions do not affect the assignment availability, only when it appears.
- Optionally, select a Due Date.
- In the Recipients section, select the Groups of Students option.
- In the Items to Select box, select the group or groups. Click the right-pointing arrow to move the selection into the Selected Items box. To select multiple groups in a row, press and hold the SHIFT key and click each group. To select groups out of sequence, press the CTRL key and click each group. You can also select all groups with the Select All function.
- Click Submit.
In the following example, the group assignment appears in the Assignments content area where it was created and on the group homepage. The following image shows the instructor view.
About Multiple Attempts
Allowing multiple attempts permits users to submit their work for a group assignment more than once and receive comments and a grade for each submission. If you allow multiple attempts, the most recent graded attempt's score appears in the Grade Center and shows to students in My Grades. To change the attempt used for the score, in the Grade Center, access the assignment column's contextual menu. Select Edit Column Information and select an option in the Score Attempts Using drop-down list.