Supporting your efforts to build awareness and drive adoption
Getting ready to introduce the Ultra experience at your institution? Are you trying to figure out ways to build awareness and drive usage? If so, this page is for you.
The resources below have been created for you to use in communicating with your instructors, students, and staff. Feel free to repurpose and modify these resources in your efforts to build awareness, interest, knowledge, and adoption of the Ultra experience.
The resources on this page are available in English only.
What exactly is the Ultra experience?
The Ultra experience for Blackboard Learn is a new, optional user experience that is modern, intuitive, and personalized. It is characterized by simplified workflows and an accessible, fully responsive design—making it easier than ever to teach and learn, from any device.
The Ultra experience is comprised of three components: the Ultra Base Navigation, the Original Course View and the Ultra Course View.
- Ultra Base Navigation: Modern, intuitive navigation that provides quick access to the most critical information from across all courses. When you enable the Ultra experience, you're making the Ultra Base Navigation available to all your instructors and students.
- Original Course View (default): Same Original course that instructors and students are familiar with from the Original experience (aka Learn 9.1). There are no changes to the features or workflows. When you turn on the Ultra Base Navigation, the default is that all of your courses will remain in the Original Course View.
If you’re not already using the Learn 2016 theme, your Original courses will have an updated look and feel (colors, fonts, spacing) and greater responsiveness on mobile devices. However, you'll see no change to the features, workflows, or content.
- Ultra Course View (optional): New course view that offers a streamlined, more intuitive interface and workflows for maximum efficiency. The Ultra Course View is also fully responsive for optimal use on any device, and new functionality and enhancements are added regularly.
Ultra or Original Course View: Choose what's right for your institution
When you turn on the Ultra Base Navigation, you have two course types to choose from: the default Original Course View and the optional Ultra Course View. You decide which instructors, departments, and/or programs use each course type. You can use a mix of both course types (the Dual Course Mode). Or, you can use just one course type for everyone—the choice is yours!
Stated another way, your move to the Ultra experience can include these options:
- The Ultra Base Navigation with all Original courses—no change to your courses
- The Ultra Base Navigation with a mix of Original and Ultra courses—what we call the Dual Course Mode
- The full Ultra experience—the Ultra Base Navigation and all Ultra courses
Watch a video about the Ultra experience
Are you enabling the Ultra Base Navigation?
The Ultra Base Navigation offers a more modern, intuitive navigation that provides quick access to the most critical information from across all courses. It creates a more engaging, efficient, and enjoyable experience for students and instructors, without having to change their courses.
Benefits of turning on the Ultra Base Navigation:
- Modern, intuitive experience
- Responsive on mobile devices
- Consolidated cross-course information
- Quick access to the most critical information
- One-click to take action
Quick tips to consider when turning on the Ultra Base Navigation:
- Review the Ultra Base Navigation Administrator page on the Help Site.
- Customize your login page: Create a custom login page to create a branded experience for students and instructors. You can download login page templates supplied with Blackboard Learn and configure them for your system.
- Pick your landing page: By default, users are taken to the activity stream after they log in to Blackboard Learn with the Ultra experience. You have the choice to keep this page or change to the Institution page or Courses page, whichever is most relevant to your users.
- Add branding to the Institution page: Personalize Learn Ultra! Add your logo and make the environment more familiar to users. You also can include content and resources on the Institution Page.
Ultra Base Navigation resources for you to use and share:
- Video: Activity Stream
- Video: Notification Settings
- Video: Messages
- Getting started for Instructors
- Getting started for Students
- View the Ultra Base Navigation section of the Ultra Screenshot Library for a collection of high-resolution screenshots that you can use to create some of your own materials
Are you rolling out the Ultra Course View?
The optional Ultra Course View provides a more modern, intuitive, fully responsive, course experience for both instructors and students. The Ultra Course View also offers redesigned workflows and capabilities—and adds some new ones—to improve instructor and student efficiency and success. You have the flexibility to roll out the Ultra Course View at your own pace—as you can make it available for specific instructors, departments, and programs you choose.
Ultra Course View resources for you to use and share:
- You can send this email—or a customized version of it—to your faculty and staff to build awareness and interest.
- Flyer for faculty & staff:
- Video playlist: Learn Ultra Instructor Tutorials on YouTube
- Additional videos:
- Getting started for Instructors
- Getting started for Students
- Ultra Screenshot Library: a collection of high-resolution screenshots that you can use to create some of your own materials.
- Wondering what's new this month? Check out the release notes to learn more about the latest releases and help you manage change for your users.
- Suggested social media posts:
|Suggested post content||Link||Image|
|Video: Streamlined grading in Blackboard Learn with the Ultra experience||http://bit.ly/2hecvIT|
|Video: Creating tests & assignments in Blackboard Learn with the Ultra experience||http://bit.ly/2hhHFzL|
To download the images in the table, right-click and select "Save Image As."
Get your message heard
Need ideas on how to get your message heard? Check out our main Adoption Tools and Best Practices page to learn some of the strategies we’ve seen work.
- Additional Communication and Adoption Toolkits
- Blackboard Community
- Blackboard events and webinar listing
- Blackboard YouTube channel
Let us know if you have other strategies you've used to boost adoption, or if you have suggestions for how we can improve this toolkit.