Get set up
You must give the browser permission to use audio and video to participate in a session. This is necessary so that you are seen and heard.
You'll be asked to do this when you first join a session or when you first go to share your audio or video.
Some browsers need access to your microphone to play audio, even if you don't plan to speak. To hear others in the session, give the browser permission to access the microphone.
Follow these steps to run the audio and video set up:
- Open My Settings. Select your profile pictures and select your name. Or open the Collaborate panel and select My Settings.
- Select Set Up your Camera and Microphone.
- Choose the microphone you want to use. Collaborate tells you that you sound great when it is receiving your audio. Select Yes, it's working to proceed.
- Choose the camera you want to use. Collaborate tells you that you look great when it is receiving your video. Select Yes, it's working to proceed.
By default, you are hidden and muted after you complete the setup. Select the microphone and camera icons to begin full meeting participation. With your keyboard, press Alt + M to turn your microphone on and off. Press Alt + C to turn your camera on and off.
Adjust your speaker volume any time in My Settings.
Having trouble setting up your audio and video with JAWS or VoiceOver? Jump to Troubleshooting and find the support page for your browser.
Let others hear and see you
You can select the microphone and video camera icons any time during a meeting to turn them on or off.
With your keyboard, press Alt + M to turn your microphone on and off. Press Alt + C to turn your camera on and off.
The microphone automatically turns on after you enable it, but you will get to preview how you'll look on screen before sharing your video.
Moderators can mute attendees anytime during the session. You are notified, if a moderator has muted you.
Want to use your phone for audio? Jump to Call into a Session.
Follow the speaker
As the discussion unfolds, the person speaking appears in the center of the screen. Select Grid View to see more than one attendee.
Microphones appear next to any attendees who have their microphone or phone audio turned on. A dark microphone is used to represent the current speaker. It moves to the current speaker as the discussion unfolds.
Know when you are "on air"
Collaborate tells you when others in the session can see your video. If you see your video with an eye, others see your video in the center of their screen. If you see an eye while content is shared, others see your video as their picture-in-picture.
Audio and network indicators
- On-air: Collaborate tells you when others in the session can see your video. If you see an eye, your video is the focus of everyone else's screen. If you see an eye while content is shared, others see your video as their picture-in-picture.
- Audio status: See who is speaking and who has their microphone turned on. Microphones appear next to attendees who have their audio turned on. A dark microphone is used to represent the current speaker. As with the follow-the-speaker view, the dark microphone moves to the current speaker as the discussion unfolds.
- Network status: You can tell at-a-glance who is in your session and who might be having trouble connecting. Network indicators have been added to the Attendees panel. These tell you when someone is in the process of joining your session, if users are connected, and how their connection is. Move your pointer over attendees in the Attendees panel to see the indicators. Move your pointer over the indicator to see network status information.
- Unresponsive status: See who in your session may be unresponsive and not able to participate fully. For example, they may not be able to raise their hand or post a chat message.
Collaborate dynamically adjusts to sending and receiving connection bandwidth changes in the quality of your internet connection. As your connection improves or degrades, the bandwidth use for video is adjusted up and down.
Some situations may require additional adjustment. Collaborate adds explicit experience changes to accommodate a wider range of connectivity blips.
When the experience changes, you are notified and told why.
Audio and video issues
If you are having issues with your audio or video, please check your session and browser settings.
- Are the audio or video controls on? A line through the icons means that a device is not enabled.
- Are you using the latest version of your browser? Update your browser.
- Does the browser have permission to access your camera and microphone?
I can't hear anything. Can I change the volume?
Adjust your microphone and speaker volume in My Settings. Point to your avatar image to open My Settings. Select Audio and Video Settings.
I can't find my audio button. How do I turn my audio on?
The moderator may have turned off your audio in their session. Moderators can turn off audio, video, chat, and edit tools in their sessions.