Blackboard made a significant investment in our mobile products to better meet the needs and expectations of students and instructors. We developed two persona-based apps, the Blackboard app (for students) and Blackboard Instructor. These apps replaced Blackboard’s original mobile app, Mobile Learn, which was removed from the app stores in August 2017 and is no longer supported.
- Blackboard app for students is available on iOS and Android
- Blackboard Instructor is available on iOS and Android
Prepare for the transition
Here are a few tips to ensure a smooth and seamless transition from Mobile Learn to the Blackboard app for students and Blackboard Instructor.
- Update your website content to direct students and instructors to the new apps.
- Get ready for the back to school season by preparing messages and assets to promote the Blackboard app and Blackboard Instructor.
- Use our toolkits for resources and assets.
- Verify that your institution is on a compatible version of Blackboard Learn that supports the Blackboard and Blackboard Instructor apps. If your institution is on an incompatible version, please make accommodations to upgrade to a supported release.
- Make sure your Blackboard Learn instance has the most recent Mobile Web Services building block updated and configured. SaaS instances of Blackboard Learn receive automatic updates to the Mobile Web Services building block. Self- and managed-hosting deployments need to manually update the Mobile Web Services building block.
- After the building block is installed and configured, users simply download the app from the app store, search for their school name, and log in.
Contact your Blackboard account executive if you have questions about upgrading Blackboard Learn or the Mobile Web Services building block.
After these three requirements are met, students and instructors simply download the Blackboard app and Blackboard Instructor from the app stores. Users open the app, search for their school name, and log in with their Blackboard Learn credentials.
What is the Blackboard app?
The Blackboard app is our next generation native mobile solution that enables students to react to their immediate needs and helps them stay up-to-date on their academic progress and requirements. The Blackboard app brings a completely new user experience and aesthetic to Blackboard’s mobile product suite. The app offers students an intuitive way to view and interact with courses, instructors, classmates, and content with emphasis placed on their immediate needs.
What is Blackboard Instructor?
Blackboard Instructor is our new mobile and tablet-optimized app for iOS and Android. This app focuses on workflows that are most important to instructors. The first release of Blackboard Instructor will include the ability to access courses, view content and tests, participate in discussions, create announcements, and join Collaborate sessions. Blackboard Instructor will be on our continuous release cycle, so you'll see new functionality and improvements monthly.
What are the differences between the Blackboard app, Blackboard Instructor, and Mobile Learn?
Blackboard app and Blackboard Instructor are persona-based applications designed to meet student’s and instructor’s unique needs, while Mobile Learn provides functionality to both students and instructors in a single application.
Blackboard app and Mobile Learn contain some of the same functionality, but there are key enhancements that make the Blackboard app uniquely positioned to meet students' needs. See a comparison of the Blackboard app and Mobile Learn.
Blackboard Instructor and Mobile Learn will contain some of the same functionality, but Blackboard Instructor will focus on the workflows most important to instructors.