Notifications Dashboard modules display notifications that have links to course items or course information that have been changed, submitted, created, or that have impending due dates. This allows a user to view all of the pertinent, changed information from a course. Users can navigate to an individual item to view, complete, or to act on that item. Users can navigate to the course that corresponds to a notification.
Users can edit notifications settings to customize the notifications that appear and choose whether to receive email notifications.
By default, course Home Pages appear in the course menu and are similar to the Notifications Dashboard, but display notifications for that course only.
By default, the Notifications Dashboard displays three modules:
- Needs Attention: Notifications for items that have been submitted by students and require review or grading.
- Alerts: Notifications for items that students have not submitted that are passed their due date or Retention Center rules that have been broken.
- What's New: Notifications for items added, updated, submitted, or changed by a user.
For example, if an instructor has posted a new announcement, the notification will display in the What's New module. Or, if an assignment has been submitted, the notification will display in the Needs Attention module. Or, if the due date for an assignment for a user has passed, the notification will display in the Alerts module.
By default, the Notifications Dashboard displays two student modules:
- To Do:
- What's Past Due: Notifications for items that students have not submitted, and that are passed their due date.
- What's Due: A calendar and organized categories displaying upcoming items and their due dates.
- What's New: Notifications for items added, updated, submitted, or changed by a user or the instructor.
For example, if an instructor has posted a new announcement, the notification will display in the What's New module. Or, if an assignment's due date is coming up, it will display in the To Do module. Or, if the due date for an assignment for a user has passed, then the notification will display in the To Do module.
If your school has access to community engagement, you can access the Notifications Dashboard through a sub-tab on the My Institution tab. The user may be able to manage this setting.
Administrators control the ability for users to view the Notifications Dashboard, configure the notifications that display in the page, and receive email notifications. Administrators also can control whether users can manage any or all notifications or email notifications.
By default, the Notifications Dashboard page is on for the system. If it is turned off by an administrator, it is not possible for a user to turn it on. To turn the Notifications Dashboard on or off, go to the Administrator Panel. In the Courses section, select Course Settings and then select Default Notification Settings. In the Bulk Notification Settings, select a setting for Dashboard.
Users can select to receive email notifications for updated, impending, or created items. When Blackboard Learn has a valid and active integration with Blackboard Connect, notifications can also be sent using SMS messages and Text-to-Voice.