On this page
Sometimes the best resources are those you find online.
With the URL resource, you can create a link to direct students to a website or an external file. Be sure to test links regularly to make sure they exist and that the address hasn't changed.
Add a URL
Steps in Snap: Create learning activity or resource > URL > Add
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Add an activity or resource > URL > Add
- Type a meaningful name and description (not the web address).
- In the Content box, type the URL address for and external web source.
- Type a description of the link.
- Select Display description on course page if you want the description to show there.
- Optionally, configure the following settings:
- Select Save and return to course to show the course front page or Save and display to show the new URL page.
Sometimes a destination site wants data passed with the link. The URL variable feature allows you to create a parameter string using custom fields and real user/course data.
The URL variable is an advanced feature. You must have knowledge of how web forms pass information to web pages.
Parameter settings are optional. Parameters pass Moodlerooms information to the resource website as part of the URL using the GET method. You can pass up to five parameters in the URL.
- Type a name for the parameter and then select the required matching variable from a list.
Example of a variable:
If you send students to http: //www.google.com/search without specifying the search requirements in parameters, students will see the standard Google search page. If you select the parameter Surname and provide the name q, then students will see a page of search results based upon the surname stored in their profile.