On this page
Create a multi-page resource in a book-like format, with chapters and subchapters.
A Book is a series of HTML pages with a table of contents and navigation buttons.
Why use it?
Books can contain media files as well as text. They are useful for displaying lengthy passages of information which can be broken down into sections.
Students can print books, if enabled.
Use books for the following:
- Display reading material for individual modules of study.
- A staff departmental handbook.
- A showcase portfolio of student work.
Create a book
Steps in Snap: Create learning activity or resource > Book > Add
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Add an activity or resource > Book > Add
- Type a meaningful name and description. The description displays to students when they view the book. Check the Display description on course page box if you want the description to show there.
- Set the Appearance options:
- Chapter formatting: Set how you want the chapters to be listed as - numbered list, bulleted list, or indented.
- Style of navigation: Set how the book will be organized - with TOC only, Images, or Text.
- Custom titles: If enabled, you can add titles to the chapters that are different than the section names.
- Set the following optional items:
- Select Save and return to course to show the course main page or Save and display to show the new book.
View the book from the student perspective to be sure it appears as you intended. Administration block > Switch role to > Student. When finished testing, select Return to my normal role.
Add chapters and subchapters
Chapters are pages in the book that students navigate through with arrows or the table of contents.
A book can have only two levels.
- Chapters appear in the first level of the table of contents.
- Subchapters are indented beneath chapters. You cannot create a subchapter within a subchapter.
If you selected Save and display after creating a book, you can immediately add a new chapter.
Steps in Snap: Access the book > Admin menu > Turn editing on > Add new chapter icon
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Access the book > Table of Contents block > Add new chapter icon
- Type a Chapter title and content. Select the Toolbar Toggle icon in the editor to display additional functions.
- Select the Subchapter box if you want this chapter indented.
- Save changes.
Tips for effective chapter content:
1) Create PDFs for longer documents that you want students to download, rather than using a book.
2) Write short titles that fit on one line.
3) Organize and write your content prior to pulling it into your course.
Edit table of contents
When viewing a book, use the Table of contents icons to manage the table of contents.
- Move - Click the arrows next to items in the table of contents to move chapters up and down.
- Edit - Change chapter content.
- Delete - Delete the chapter.
- Hide or Show - Students do not see hidden chapters.
- Add - Add a new chapter.
There are administration features for each type of resource in a course. These features are available in Edit mode.
Steps in Snap: Book/Chapter > Admin menu
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Book/Chapter > Admin menu
Select the administrative features for the book:
- Edit settings: Update the book or chapter settings.
- Locally assigned roles: Update the role of a specific user for the resource.
- Permissions: Update the permission a specific user role can have for the resource.
- Check permissions: Review a specific user's permissions for the resource.
- Filters: Update the filter settings for the resource. Filters allow students to include links, insert multimedia players, and convert Mathematical expressions or emoticons into images.
- Logs: Review the log files available for the activity. Opens the Reports section in Course administration.
- Backup: Complete the backup for the activity.
- Restore: Complete a restore of the activity from a previous backup.
- Import chapter - Advanced feature for importing HTML content. Upload HTML files, multimedia files, and folders as chapters and subchapters.
- Print book: Select this option to print the full resource.
- Print this chapter: Select this option to print the current chapter.
Both students and teachers can print chapters.
Access the book > Administration > Print book or Print chapter