Blackboard Learn is a browser-based application where you can work on and submit assignments and other coursework. Use these resources to determine if your web browser is compatible with your institution's version of Learn.
For the best Blackboard Learn experience with your screen reader, use Firefox® and JAWS® on a Windows® system. On a Mac® use Safari® and VoiceOver. Visit the Accessibility topic to learn more about Blackboard's approach to accessible software.
Google Chrome versions 42+, Mozilla Firefox versions 52+, and Microsoft Edge do not support NPAPI-type plug-ins, including Java plug-ins and many media browser plug-ins. Blackboard doesn't support these browsers for use in the following circumstances: 1) with embedded media types that require third-party NPAPI plug-ins for viewing and 2) the multiple-file upload interface located in the Content Collection, although the other multiple-file upload interfaces are supported on these browsers.
|Desktop Browser Versions||Mobile Browser Versions*|
|Safari||9+||with iOS 7+|
* Mobile browsers are supported for Blackboard Learn 9.1 with the Learn 2016 theme. Mobile browsers are also supported for the Original experience. Older themes are not supported on these browsers at this time, although users may have success using them.
Blackboard App, Blackboard Instructor, and Bb Grader are supported native apps for mobile and tablet devices that interact with Blackboard Learn 9.1 servers. These apps may have their own device requirements.
|Desktop Browser Versions||Mobile and Tablet Browser Versions|
|Android Browser||Not available||4+|
Blackboard's most common testing configuration for new features in the Ultra experience is Mac OS + Google Chrome. We conduct additional testing on the latest release for Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, and Microsoft Edge.
A variety of devices and operating systems were used to test the supported browsers. Support is not limited to these specific operating systems. The desktop browser versions above are supported regardless of the particular device or operating system on which they run.
|Operating Systems||Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac OS 10.8, Mac OS 10.9, Mac OS 10.10, iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, Chrome OS|
|iOS Devices||iPod Touch, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5S, iPhone5c, iPhone 6, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad Mini 3, iPad Air 2|
|Android Devices||Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5, HTC G1, LG C800 myTouch, HTC One, Galaxy Note 2014, HTC One M8|
|Windows Mobile Devices||Venue 8 Pro, Lumia 520, Lumia 930|
|Chrome OS Devices||Chromebook (Chrome browser; features requiring NPAPI plug-ins are not supported)|
Blackboard strives to make all its products as accessible as possible. The two most recently available versions of JAWS are used during accessibility testing of each Blackboard Learn release.
A handful of features in Blackboard Learn require particular additional software to be installed. Without these, the features themselves do not function. The following Blackboard Learn features have plug-in requirements:
- Multiple file uploads in Course Files and Content Collection requires the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from Oracle enabled as a browser plug-in. The single file upload tool does not have this requirement. The upload applet is signed by Blackboard and includes a timestamping authority that allows the applet to run even after the certificate has expired.
- The Course Room and Blackboard Collaborate synchronous communication features, available via Building Block, require the download and installation of Blackboard Collaborate Launcher but do not require the Java JRE browser plug-in.
The launcher is only required for Blackboard Collaborate with the Original experience. Blackboard Collaborate with the Ultra experience does not require any downloads.
JRE versions 7 and 8 are the recommended versions for features that depend on it. JRE version 6 may work, but could result in unexpected behavior. Oracle has acknowledged some security issues with JRE version 6.
Blackboard Learn does not require any other browser plug-ins. To learn more about browser plug-ins, assistive technology, and other supporting software, see the Browser Support Policy topic in this section.
Reports and visualizations available in Analytics for Learn are delivered via third party business intelligence tools from Blackboard partners, specifically Microsoft (Reporting Services) for embedded reports and Pyramid (Pyramid BI Office) for dashboard building. These products have their own commitments to browser support, and so the details below are subject to change based on product decisions made by our partners.
Analytics for Learn reports that display within the Learn interface are supported in all the same browsers as Learn. Standalone Microsoft Reporting Services reports are also supported in the same browsers as Learn. Refer to the Microsoft website for more information on browser support for Microsoft Reporting Services.
To view Pyramid dashboards, an HTML-5 compatible browser is required. Older versions of Internet Explorer that have been deprecated by Microsoft are not compatible for viewing Pyramid reports. To build Pyramid dashboards, an NPAPI-compatible browser is required because the Pyramid builder uses the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in. Google Chrome has deprecated NPAPI support, so this browser is incompatible. Firefox or Safari users must install and configure the Silverlight plug-in to use it in their browser.
- Internet Explorer is only supported in Standards Mode in the Original experience.
- Mac OS X 10.8+ Java for Original Blackboard Learn 9.1 interfaces: Java is no longer shipped as part of the OS install and must be downloaded and installed by users on request of application/applet - this is a one-time action on the part of the user.
- Internet Explorer 10 support ended.
- Expansion of support definition by browser types and versions to be inclusive of additional operating systems and formats including mobile and tablet devices.
- Windows XP
- Windows, Mac OS, and Linux systems not running a supported browser
- Internet Explorer versions 10 and lower which are no longer supported by Microsoft; Internet Explorer on mobile devices
- Firefox versions 30 and lower on desktop; all Firefox versions on mobile devices
- Chrome versions 35 and lower (version 34 and lower on mobile devices)
- Safari versions 5 and lower
- JRE 5 for Blackboard Learn Original user interfaces
This section only applies to Blackboard Learn SaaS users.
Some user interfaces in Blackboard Learn in the SaaS deployment have not yet been updated to the Ultra experience. These interfaces include, but are not limited to the following areas:
- Original Course View - using the Blackboard Learn 9.1 Original Course View
- Administrator configuration areas
- Content Collection
- Enterprise surveys
- Goals manager
- Outcomes Assessment features
These Original experience interfaces are not supported on tablets and hand-held devices, although users may have some success using them on these devices.