Edit Tests and Questions
On this page
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Ultra" help about accessing tests.
On the Test or Survey Canvas, you can add, edit, and delete questions. You can also add question sets or random blocks, reorder questions, and edit a test or survey's information before students submit attempts.
After submissions exist, you can't add a question, modify the number of questions in a question set, or change a random block definition or options. You may be able to delete questions.
Access the Test Canvas in these ways:
- Grade Center > test or survey column heading menu > Edit Test
- Control Panel > Course Tools > Tests, Survey, and Pools > Tests > test's menu > Edit
- Content area > test's menu > Edit the Test
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Ultra" help about editing and deleting questions.
To make a change to a question, access the question's menu on the Test or Survey Canvas and select Edit.
Even after students submit attempts, you can delete questions. All affected test submissions are regraded and all affected survey results are updated. The question numbers update automatically.
At the top of the page, you're alerted that you can't delete questions if a test or survey has attempts in progress.
On the Test Canvas, select the check box for each question to delete, and then select Delete and Regrade.
On the Survey Canvas, select the check box for each question to delete, and then select Delete and Update Results.
You can change the possible points awarded for answering questions correctly in two ways. For both ways, new grades are recalculated for all previously submitted tests.
- On the Test Canvas, select a question's current points.
- In the Update Points box, edit the points, set the question as extra credit, or give full credit. To remove a question's extra credit or full credit designation, clear the appropriate check box. You can't set extra credit or partial credit for questions unless you chose the options on the Question Settings page.
- Select Submit or Submit and Regrade.
- On the Test Canvas, select the check box for each question you want to change.
- Preceding the questions list, type a number in the Points box.
- Select Update or Update and Regrade.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Ultra" help about reordering questions.
Questions are numbered automatically in the order you add them. The question numbers update when you reorder or randomize them. Therefore, use caution when you refer to specific question numbers in the questions' text.
On the Test or Survey Canvas, you can use the drag-and-drop function to reorder questions. Press the arrows next to a question and drag it to a new location.
Or, select the Keyboard Accessible Reordering icon. Select a question and use the Move Up and Move Down icons to adjust the order.
Only new test attempts are affected by the changed order if the test isn't set to display questions in random order. Attempts already submitted retain the order as originally viewed by students when they took the test.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Ultra" help about deleting tests.
You can delete a test or survey before or after you deploy it in a content area. Access the test or survey's menu and select Delete. If students haven't attempted to take the test or survey, you may safely delete it from the content area without any loss of data. You have removed it from the content area only. The test or survey remains on the Tests or Surveys page where you can edit, redeploy, or delete it from the system.
After you delete a test or survey from a content area, you can deploy it again. No connection or shared data exists between the first and second deployments.
If students have already taken a test or survey, you can make it unavailable rather than delete it.
If you try to delete a test with attempts, a warning appears with these options:
- Preserve scores in the Grade Center for this Test, but delete all attempts for this Test. You can delete the test from the content area. Grades for this test will remain in the Grade Center, but the attempts will be deleted. You won't be able to view any of the students' responses or grade any questions after the deletion. The action is irreversible.
- Remove this content item, the Grade Center item for this Test, all grades for this Test, and all attempts for this Test. You can delete the test from the content area and erase any record of the test from the Grade Center. All records of student performance are removed permanently. The action is irreversible.
On the Tests or Surveys page, you can permanently delete tests or surveys. If Delete doesn't appear in a test or survey's menu, you have deployed it in a content area. You need to delete a deployed test or survey from the content area before you can delete it from the Tests or Surveys page.
Undeployed tests and surveys don't appear in the Grade Center, so when you delete them, the Grade Center isn't affected.
After you add the first question, select the plus sign wherever you want to add another question, type text, or upload a file. You can add as many text blocks and files as you want.
Students see the content just as you see it, without the editing options.
You can edit the text of any question or answer, even after students have made submissions. After students open the test, you can't add new questions, delete a question, move the content, edit the values, or change which answers are correct.
Before students open the test, select the More options icon to access Edit or Delete. You can also select a question or answer to enable edit mode. To change the points, select the score pill and type a new value.
The More options icon appears next to the files you added. Select Edit File to display a file as an attachment or inline if your browser allows. You can also add alternative text to improve accessibility. Select Delete File to remove the file from the question.
You can align goals with individual test questions to help your institution measure achievement. Select the More options icon next to the question, and select Align with Goal. After you make the test available, students can view information for the goals you align with tests and questions so they know your expectations.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Original" help about reordering questions.
Questions are numbered automatically in the order you add them. The question numbers update when you reorder. Before students open the test, you can reorder the elements of your test.
Point to a question to access the Move icon. Press and drag the question, text block, or file to a new location.
You can use your keyboard to move an item.
- Tab to an item's Move icon.
- Press Enter to activate move mode.
- Use the arrow keys to choose a location.
- Press Enter to drop the item in the new location.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Original" help about managing tests.
You can make changes to existing tests and change where they appear on your Course Content page. Be aware that if you change an existing test that students can access, some students may have started their submissions.
Press the Move icon in a test's row and move it to a new location. You can also move a test into a folder.
In a test's row, select the More options icon to access the Edit and Delete functions.
You can change the test's due date and grade unit at any time, even after students have made submissions. Students' statuses, scores, and grade units will update also.
You can delete a test from your course and if no student submissions exist, the gradebook item is also deleted. For tests with submissions, you must confirm that you want to permanently remove the test, all submissions, and grades from your course.
Or, hide the test from students to preserve the submissions and the scores in the gradebook. Students can't access hidden tests on the Course Content page or on their grades pages even if you've graded submissions.