On this page
A space is a group that you can create to collaborate with other users. For example, you can create a space for a study group, your athletic team, or a movie review group. Anyone can create and manage spaces.
Spaces aren't the same as organizations. Organizations behave just like courses and include the full range of tools and features. Your institution controls who may create organizations.
To access the Spaces page, access the menu next to your name in the page header. The My Blackboard menu opens. Select the Spaces icon.
If prompted, you must accept the terms of service and provide an email address before you can use this tool for the first time.
The spaces you manage and belong to appear in your profile.
- Access the spaces you manage and belong to.
- Browse or search for spaces.
- When you create a space, you're the manager of the space. You can promote other users to manage the space also.
- Respond to requests.
Point to a space to display a description and options to edit, view, and leave the space. If the space doesn't belong to you, you'll also have an option to request to join.
On your Spaces page, select Create a Space to add a name and invite members. Select More Options to add a description and an image, and set privacy options.
On the space's Edit page, you can control the privacy settings that affect how your space appears in My Blackboard and in member profiles.
Public spaces are discoverable with search and anyone can join.
Protected spaces are discoverable with search. To join, you must request access from the manager or be invited by the manager.
Private spaces aren't discoverable with search. To join, you need to be invited by the manager. Private spaces don't appear on a member's profile.
On the space's Edit page, you can manage current membership and pending invitations.
In the Space Membership area, you can perform these tasks:
- View the list of current Managers and Members.
- Select Manage to view current space members. Point to a member to make him or her a manager or remove a member from the space.
- Select Invite to ask new members to join the space. On the Invite page, you can view pending invitations. Select the X next to a pending invitation to rescind it. When you invite people, the invitation shows on their Spaces pages in My Blackboard. Invited users can accept or decline the invitation.
Use your space wall to update and have conversations with those who follow the space. Members' posts to a space also appear on the My Blackboard Posts page. Select View Space on the space card to access your space wall.
- Provide information in the Share Something box and select Post.
- Comment on a user's post. Point to a post or comment and select Comment.
- To edit, point to one of your own posts or comments and select Edit. An "EDITED" label appears.
On your Spaces page, you can browse or search spaces. Select All Spaces and browse or type keywords in the search box. You can also choose a category to browse or search. Private spaces don't appear in searches, except to managers and members of the space.
Point to a space you're interested in to view the space's description, access the space, and request to join the space.