Check whether your web browser works well with your version of Blackboard Learn.
When using a screen reader, use Firefox® and JAWS® on Windows® and use Safari® and VoiceOver on a Mac® . Visit Accessibility to learn more about Blackboard's approach to accessible software.
Your teacher can deliver your course in the Original or Ultra Course View. Check out the tables below to see whether your browser supports your course view.
Google Chrome versions 42+, Mozilla Firefox versions 52+, and Microsoft Edge do not support NPAPI-type plug-ins. This includes Java plug-ins and many media browser plug-ins. Blackboard doesn't support these browsers under the following circumstances:
1) with embedded media types that need third-party NPAPI plug-ins for viewing
2) the multiple-file upload interface located in the Content Collection. These browsers do support the other multiple-file upload interfaces.
|Desktop Browser Versions||Mobile Browser Versions1|
|Safari||9+||with iOS 7+|
1. Mobile browsers are supported for Mobile browsers are also supported for the Original experience. Older themes are not supported on these browsers even though users may have success using them. Blackboard App, Blackboard Instructor, and Bb Grader are supported native apps for mobile and tablet devices that interact with Blackboard Learn 9.1 servers. These apps may have their own device requirements.
2. Microsoft ended active development for Internet Explorer in January 2016. Most features of Learn will work with IE11, so it is generally considered compatible. Some newer features in Learn may not, including Attendance and Create Recording. Reported issues isolated to Internet Explorer will not be resolved by Product Support. We recommend using another browser.
|Desktop Browser Versions||Mobile and Tablet Browser Versions|
|Android Browser||Not available||4+|
Blackboard's most common configuration for testing new features in the Ultra experience is Mac OS + Google Chrome. We conduct more testing on the latest releases of Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, and Microsoft Edge.
Blackboard tests browsers using a variety of devices and operating systems. Support is not limited to these specific operating systems. We support the desktop browser versions regardless of the particular device or operating system they run on.
|Operating Systems||Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac OS 10.8, Mac OS 10.9, Mac OS 10.10, iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, Chrome OS|
|iOS Devices||iPod Touch, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5S, iPhone5c, iPhone 6, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad Mini 3, iPad Air 2|
|Android Devices||Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5, HTC G1, LG C800 myTouch, HTC One, Galaxy Note 2014, HTC One M8|
|Windows Mobile Devices||Venue 8 Pro, Lumia 520, Lumia 930|
|Chrome OS Devices||Chromebook (Chrome browser; features requiring NPAPI plug-ins are not supported)|
Blackboard strives to make all its products as accessible as possible. We use the two most recent versions of JAWS during accessibility testing of each Blackboard Learn release.
A handful of features in Blackboard Learn require you to install additional software. Without the software, the features themselves do not function. The following Blackboard Learn features have plug-in requirements:
- Multiple file uploads in Course Files and Content Collection requires you to enable the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) browser plug-in from Oracle. The single file upload tool does not require the JRE. Blackboard has signed the upload applet. It includes a timestamping authority that allows the applet to run even after the certificate has expired.
- The Course Room and Blackboard Collaborate synchronous communication features, available via Building Block, require you to download and install Blackboard Collaborate Launcher but do not require the Java JRE browser plug-in.
Only for Blackboard Collaborate with the Original experience requires the Launcher. Blackboard Collaborate with the Ultra experience does not require any downloads.
Blackboard recommends JRE versions 7 and 8 for features that depend on it. JRE version 6 might work but could result in unexpected behavior. Oracle has acknowledged some security issues with JRE version 6.
Blackboard Learn does not require any other browser plug-ins. To learn more about browser plug-ins, assistive technology, and other supporting software, see the Browser Support Policy topic in this section.
Analytics for Learn delivers reports and visualizations using third-party business intelligence tools from Blackboard partners, specifically Microsoft (Reporting Services) for embedded reports and Pyramid (Pyramid BI Office) for dashboard building. These products have their own commitments to browser support. As a result, the following details are subject to change based on product decisions made by our partners.
Analytics for Learn reports that display within the Learn interface are supported in all the same browsers as Learn. Standalone Microsoft Reporting Services reports are also supported in the same browsers as Learn. Refer to the Microsoft website for more information on browser support for Microsoft Reporting Services.
To view Pyramid dashboards, an HTML-5 compatible browser is required. Older versions of Internet Explorer that have been deprecated by Microsoft are not compatible for viewing Pyramid reports. To build Pyramid dashboards, an NPAPI-compatible browser is required because the Pyramid builder uses the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in. Google Chrome has deprecated NPAPI support, so this browser is incompatible. Firefox or Safari users must install and configure the Silverlight plug-in to use it in their browser.
- Learn with the Original experience supports Internet Explorer only in Standards Mode.
- Mac OS X 10.8+ Java for Original Blackboard Learn 9.1 interfaces: Java no longer ships as part of the OS install. You must download and install Java when the application/applet requests. You only need to do this once.
- Internet Explorer 10 support ended.
- We expanded supported browser types and versions to include additional operating systems and formats such as mobile and tablet devices.
- Windows XP
- Windows, Mac OS, and Linux systems not running a supported browser
- Internet Explorer versions 10 and lower that are no longer supported by Microsoft; Internet Explorer on mobile devices
- Firefox versions 30 and lower on desktop; all Firefox versions on mobile devices
- Chrome versions 35 and lower (version 34 and lower on mobile devices)
- Safari versions 5 and lower
- JRE 5 for Blackboard Learn Original user interfaces
This section applies only to Blackboard Learn SaaS users.
Some user interfaces in Blackboard Learn in the SaaS deployment have not yet been updated to the Ultra experience. These interfaces include, but are not limited to the following areas:
- Original Course View - using the Blackboard Learn 9.1 Original Course View
- Administrator configuration areas
- Content Collection
- Enterprise surveys
- Goals manager
- Outcomes Assessment features
These Original experience interfaces are not supported on tablets and hand-held devices even though users may have some success using them on these devices.