Instructor FAQs about Tests in Learn
On this page
Tests are what you'd expect. They're assessments evaluated for a grade.
Surveys are anonymous and aren't scored. You can see if a student has completed a survey, and view survey results in aggregate.
Pools are groups of questions that you can include in tests and surveys.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Ultra" help about test basics.
After you build a test or survey, you create questions or add existing questions from other tests, surveys, and pools. On the Question Settings page, you can adjust question settings.
Then, you choose the options and deploy the test or survey in a content area or folder. When you add a test or survey to a content area, it's "deployed."
You add questions to tests and surveys in the same way, but you don't add points to survey questions because they aren't graded.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Ultra" help about creating tests.
Control Panel > Course Tools > Tests, Surveys, and Pools > Tests or Surveys
- On the Tests page, select Build Test.
- On the Test Information page, type a name. Optionally, provide a description and instructions.
- Select Submit.
- On the Test Canvas from the Create Question menu, select a question type.
- On the Create/Edit page, provide the necessary information to create a question.
- Select Submit.
- When you have added all the questions you need, select OK. The test is added to the list on the Tests page and is ready to make available to students.
This video explains how to create a test, add questions, and make the test available to students in the Original Course View.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the Original help about test basics.
- Show or hide: Students can't see a test until you choose to show it. On the Course Content page, students can see when the test is set to be available.
- Test settings: Select the Open Test Settings icon to provide the test's details and information.
- Due dates: Due dates appear on the calendar and in the activity stream. Late submissions appear with a Late label in the course gradebook.
- Class conversations: You can allow conversations within a test, and anyone can contribute.
- Grading schema: From the Grade using menu, select an existing grading schema such as Points. A test's score consists of the sum total of all the questions' points. You can change the grading schema at any time.
- Goals and standards: You can align a test to one or multiple goals.
- Optional description: The description appears with the test title on the Course Content page.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Original" help about creating tests.
You can create tests alongside your other content.
On the Course Content page, select the plus sign wherever you want to add a test. You can also expand or create a folder and add a test.
Select Create to open the Create Item panel. Expand the Assessment section and select Test. The New Test page opens.
When you create a test, a gradebook item is created automatically.