Instructor FAQs About Messages
On this page
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Ultra" help about sending messages.
Navigate to the Course Messages page in these ways:
- On the course menu, go to Tools > Course Messages.
- On the Control Panel, go to Course Tools > Course Messages.
On the Compose Message page, select To. A list of all course members appears. In the first box, select the recipients and select the right-pointing arrow to move them to the Recipients box.
You can use the functions in the editor to format the text of your message. You have creative control over how your content appears and the flexibility to change the order and appearance.
Should I use discussions or messages?
Everyone can use messages for reminders, questions, and social interactions. As an instructor, you can send messages to all students about important deadlines and schedule changes. You and your students can send messages to each other, multiple people, or an entire class. Message activity remains inside the system, and you don't have to worry about email addresses that may be incorrect or outdated.
Use the discussions feature for more robust, in-depth exchanges about course content. With discussions, you don't choose who receives the information because it appears to all course members. You can grade discussion activity. Grading isn't supported for messages.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Ultra" help about deleting messages.
In the inbox, select the check box next to the message you want to delete and select Delete. You can also select Delete at the top of the page to delete the message you're currently viewing.
No. After you select Send, you can't edit the message text.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Original" help about sending messages.
You and your students can send messages to each other, multiple people, or an entire class. Messages activity remains inside the system.
- Inside a course
- On the Messages page
- In a course, all messages and responses stay together on the Messages page. You can easily scan the entire list, and expand a message to read all the responses and see who is participating. Select the New Message icon to send a message. Send to one person, multiple people, or the entire class.
- From the course roster
- You can send a message to anyone involved with your course. Select a profile picture and then the envelope icon to open the New Message panel. You can add more recipients to the message as needed.
- On the Messages page
- From the global messages page
- Select Messages from the list on the left where your name appears to access the global messages page.
- Select the plus sign on the Messages page to open the New Message panel.
- Start typing to add recipients. As you type, matching recipient names pop up. You can continue to add as many names as you want or send to the whole class.
- Lead with the most important info! The first 100 characters of a message appear in the list. Messages don't have titles, so recipients rely on the first part of your message as they choose what to read. You can format your text with the editor.
- From the global messages page: Select Messages from the list where your name appears to access the global messages page. You'll see all your messages from all your courses, and you can filter by course. You can view messages for current, previous, and future courses.
- Inside a course
When you're inside a course, you can view and send messages for that course only.
- See who's involved. Each message displays the profile pictures of the participants. When more than two have participated, the creator's profile picture appears with a count of participants.
- Delete a message. Point to a message to reveal the Delete icon and delete the message. If more responses come in, you'll get them. You can't edit or delete individual responses in a message.
- Navigate to another message. Messages open in a panel that displays all the responses. Use the View Previous Messages and Next Message icons at the top to view the previous or next message in the list.
- Add more people. When you create or respond to a message, select the Add Participants icon to add more people unless the message was sent to the entire class. The original recipients see a note in the next message that you added new people or the whole class. The new recipients see the message from the point they were added.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Original" help about deleting messages.
Point to a message to reveal the Delete icon and delete the message. If more responses come in, you'll get them.
The following narrated video provides a visual and auditory representation of some of the information included on this page. For a detailed description of what is portrayed in the video, open the video on YouTube, navigate to More actions, and select Open transcript.
Video: Messages shows how to access, view, and send messages to members of your course.