Instructor FAQs about Languages in Learn
On this page
What are language packs?
Language packs present Blackboard Learn with language and cultural norms matched to different audiences. Language pack preferences are defined at the system, the course or organization, and user levels.
Three levels of language packs
Your institution defines one language pack as the system default. The language appears if no other language pack is specified at the course or user level.
As the instructor, you can set a language pack that is different from the default to make all users in a course view the same language pack. For example, if you teach a Spanish language class, you may want to select Spanish for the course-level language.
Individuals may choose their preferred language packs unless a language pack choice has been set to be enforced.
Customized names for content areas and tools aren't changed with the language pack. These values stay the same for all language packs. The default names in the system are translated and appear differently in each language pack.
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Ultra" help about changing the language pack.
- On the Control Panel, expand the Customization section and select Properties.
- On the Properties page, make a selection from the Language Pack list.
- Select Enforce Language Pack to always display this course in the selected language pack.
- Select Submit.
If you don't choose a language pack for a course, the course will display in the user's preferred language pack. Or, if the user hasn't set a preferred language pack, the system default language pack displays.
For the most part, the Control Panel appears in the selected language pack of a course and not in the language pack selected by the user. In a few places within a course, the page will display with the system default or the user's preferred language pack rather than the course language pack. These pages won't display in the selected course language pack:
- Control Panel > Course Information > Edit Item, Copy Item, Add Item, Delete Item
- Control Panel > Copy Files to Content Collection
- Control Panel > Discussion Board > Add Forum
- Control Panel > Announcements > Confirmation receipt
Doesn't seem familiar? Jump to the "Original" help about changing the language pack.
At this time, instructors can't change language packs at the course level in the Ultra experience. Administrators can set course languages, and users can choose their preferred language pack.
To change the language at a user level:
- Select Language on your profile.
- Select a language pack from the drop-down list.
- Select Submit.