Transitioning from Crocodoc to New Box View
On this page
Blackboard’s current service for the implementation of inline grading is through the Crocodoc API, and Box Inc. has decided to discontinue it. The end-of-life date for the Crocodoc API is January 15, 2018.
As a result, we’ve updated our inline grading capability to leverage the New Box View API. New Box View offers several improvements over Crocodoc, including improved rendering fidelity and expanded support for new file types. Inline grading will continue to work in your courses after January 15th, 2018.
You'll see a few differences between Crocodoc and New Box View. This table compares the two annotation services.
|Functions and Details||Crocodoc||New Box View|
|File types for conversion||PDF, PPT, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, DOC, and DOCX||Over 100 different file types, including video, audio, image, and programming code
File Types and Fonts Supported in Box Content Preview
|File types for annotation||PDF, PPT, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, DOC, and DOCX||PDF, PPT, PPTX, DOC, and DOCX
New Box View also supports only point-based annotations on these file formats: AI, BMP, DCM, EPS, GIF, PNG, PS, PSD, SVS, TGA, TIF, and TIFF
|Videos and images displayed||No||Yes|
|Course areas||Original assignments, Ultra assignments, and in Ultra tests' additional submission area||Original assignments, Ultra assignments, and in Ultra tests' additional submission area|
|Annotation types||Text- and point-based comments, highlighting, and drawing||Point-based comments and highlighting|
|Download||You can download a copy of a student file with the option to download in the original format or in a PDF version that includes the annotations||You can download a copy of a student file, but annotations won’t appear|
|Students||Can’t add annotations to documents||Can’t add annotations to documents|
|Bb Grader||Can add annotations to documents||Can add annotations to documents with workaround
Annotate submissions in Bb Grader app
Instructors and roles with grading privileges
- Must assign grades, and in the Ultra Course View, post the grades, before students can view annotations.
- Can’t edit or remove existing Crocodoc annotations in New Box View as the annotations are “burned” into a PDF during migration.
- Can add or edit New Box View annotations after a grade is assigned. However, when delegated grading is enabled, only instructors can add or edit annotations in New Box View after grades are assigned.
Delegated grading is enabled and no grades are assigned
- Graders who aren’t allowed to view other graders’ annotations, won’t see any annotations—even their own—after the migration to New Box View. Graders see students’ original documents. The “hidden annotations” are necessary because graders shouldn’t see other grader or instructor annotations that existed before the migration.
Delegated grading is enabled and grades are assigned
- After grades are assigned in your course, graders can view all annotations made in Crocodoc and New Box View.
- Students may be able to see all annotations based on the Provisional Grades setting within the Delegated Grading capabilities.
What happens after Crocodoc is unavailable?
After the end-of-life date and during the migration, the Crocodoc service will display a “Service Unavailable” message.
New Box View will completely replace the Crocodoc feature in your courses, with the same general workflows and interface elements. You'll see some slight differences in the interface, primarily more streamlined buttons and options.
*Comparison view of Crocodoc and New Box View annotations on an Ultra assignment
After the end-of-life date for Crocodoc, what will happen to data stored in Crocodoc if my institution doesn't transition to use New Box View?
While the Crocodoc service will technically reach end-of-life, the databases that contain student-submitted data and documents won’t be deleted or destroyed. The data will still be available for critical situations such as grade challenges.
Will the transition have any impact on the use of rubrics for grading? Will I be able to use the same rubrics for the New Box View as I currently do for Crocodoc?
The transition won’t impact your course's rubrics or rubric data. You'll be able to use the same rubrics within the inline grading interface alongside the New Box View service. Rubrics are a separate feature that doesn’t share code with the Crocodoc or New Box View service.
*Statements regarding our product development initiatives, including new products and future product upgrades, updates or enhancements represent our current intentions, but may be modified, delayed or abandoned without prior notice and there is no assurance that such offering, upgrades, updates or functionality will become available unless and until they have been made generally available to our customers.