Release Notes for SafeAssign
On this page
Looking for more information about the SafeAssign tool? Go to the SafeAssign overview page.
SafeAssign is used to promote originality and to create opportunities to help students identify how to properly attribute sources rather than paraphrase. It compares submitted assignments against a set of academic papers to identify areas of overlap between the submitted assignment and existing works. SafeAssign is effective as both a deterrent and an educational tool.
SafeAssign includes a central service component and a Building Block. The latest Building Block can be installed through Software Updates, or refer to the latest Release Notes to download the Building Block for manual installation.
- Building Block Name: SafeAssign
- Version: SafeAssign 4.0.20
- Supported in Blackboard Learn Versions: Learn 9.1 Q2 2016 CU5 and Q4 2016 CU4 releases only.
- Date Released: April 11, 2017 (Q2 2016 CU5) and October 18, 2017 (Q4 2016 CU4)
- Released by:
- Bundled with Learn 9.1 Q2 2016 CU5 and Q4 2016 CU4
Markets and Verticals
SafeAssign is available to all markets and verticals.
Resolved Issues & Improvements
- This release includes updates allowing users to create and update the SafeAssign configuration properties for their Learn instance; this should help potential alleviate issues when migrating, upgrading, or copying Learn instances, and allow users to resolve discrepancies without requiring command line access to the sa.properties file.
After upgrading to a new Cumulative Update containing SafeAssign B2 4.0.20, some instances reported an error when accessing SafeAssign. At this time, the affected release is Cumulative Update 5 for Learn 9.1, Q2 2016.
Please consult this article for more info on this issue and workaround:
- Instructors can use SafeAssign to investigate plagiarism potential in assignment submissions.
- If allowed by instructors, students can review their own work for plagiarism potential.
Release Notes for Earlier Versions
Release notes for earlier versions are available in English only.