Blackboard supports four primary browsers for Learn releases.
Run the browser checker to see whether Blackboard Learn supports your browser and operating system.
Desktop Browser Support
These desktop browsers work best with Blackboard Learn 9.1 Service Pack (SP) 14.
- Firefox 24® and later
- ChromeTM 30 and later
- Safari® 6 and later
Safari for Windows is no longer supported by Apple and is not supported for the new Blackboard Learn experience.
- Internet Explorer® 9 and later
Some configuration options for Internet Explorer may make certain features of Blackboard Learn difficult to use.
Java and Other Browser Plugins
A handful of features in Blackboard Learn require particular additional software to be installed. Without these, the features themselves do not function. For this service pack of Learn, the following features have plugin requirements:
- Multiple file uploads in Course Files and Content Collection requires the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from Oracle enabled as a browser plugin. The single file upload tool does not have this requirement. The upload applet is signed by Blackboard and includes a timestamping authority that allows the applet to run even after the certificate has expired.
- The Virtual Classroom Tools in courses require the JRE from Oracle enabled as a browser plugin. The Virtual Classroom applet is signed by Blackboard and includes a timestamping authority that allows the applet to run even after the certificate has expired.
- The Meeting Room and Blackboard Collaborate synchronous communication features, available via Building Block, require the JRE for access to the rooms, but do not require the browser plugin. Blackboard also has additional information about how Blackboard Collaborate uses Java in the Blackboard Collaborate Support Portal.
- The Record from Webcam feature of the Content Editor requires the Flash Player browser plugin from Adobe to successfully save the recordings to YouTube.
JRE version 7 is the recommended version for features that depend on it. JRE version 6 may work, but could result in unexpected behavior. Oracle has acknowledged some security issues with JRE version 6.
On Apple Mac OS X, Google's Chrome browser does not support Java 7 because of incompatibilities between 64-bit Java and 32-bit Chrome. Firefox and Safari browsers do not have this limitation on Mac OS X. Users of the Chrome browser on Mac OS X must configure Java 6 support in order to access the features listed above.
Adobe Flash Player version 11 is the recommended version of the Adobe Flash Player plugin, but the YouTube service ultimately determines the version required for this plugin.
Blackboard Learn does not require any other browser plugins. To learn more about browser plugins, assistive technology, and other supporting software, see Browser Support Policy.
- Download link for JRE on Oracle's site.
- Windows auto-download .cab files for JRE on Oracle's site - scroll down to links for version 7.
- To learn more about security and JRE, see this Blackboard Security Advisory.
- Directions from Apple for configuring Java 6 for Chrome browsers on Mac OS X on Apple's site.
- Download link for Adobe Flash Player on Adobe's site.
- More information about the Blackboard applet timestamping authority on GeoTrust's site.
Analytics for Learn Browser Support
Reports and visualizations available in Analytics for Learn are delivered via third party business intelligence tools from Blackboard partners, specifically Microsoft (Reporting Services) for embedded reports and Pyramid (Pyramid BI Office) for dashboard building. These products have their own commitments to browser support, and so the details below are subject to change based on product decisions made by our partners.
Analytics for Learn reports that display within the Learn interface are supported in all the same browsers as Learn. Standalone Microsoft Reporting Services reports are also supported in the same browsers as Learn. Refer to the Microsoft website for more information on browser support for Microsoft Reporting Services.
To view Pyramid dashboards, an HTML-5 compatible browser is required. Older versions of Internet Explorer that have been deprecated by Microsoft are not compatible for viewing Pyramid reports. To build Pyramid dashboards, an NPAPI-compatible browser is required because the Pyramid builder uses the Microsoft Silverlight plugin. Google Chrome has deprecated NPAPI support, so this browser is incompatible. Firefox or Safari users must install and configure the Silverlight plugin to use it in their browser.