Release Notes for Blackboard Drive 1.6 for Mac
On this page
Original Launch: March 13, 2013
Requirements: For use with Service Pack 4 and later with a content management license.
Clients who license the Blackboard Learn Content Management module and are running Blackboard Learn 9.1 Service Pack 4 (9.1.40071.3) or later versions can begin using Blackboard Drive immediately. To have the best user experience and have the Easy Edit with Blackboard Drive functionality, clients should be running Blackboard Learn 9.1, Service Pack 6 (9.1.60230.0) or later.
Supported Operating Systems
Blackboard Drive for Mac (1.6.15324) is supported on the following Mac OS X platforms:
- Mac OS X® v 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) 32-bit and 64-bit.
- Mac OS X® v 10.7 (Lion) 32-bit and 64-bit.
- OS X® 10.8 (Mountain Lion) 64-bit.
Blackboard Drive for Windows (1.6.15804) is supported on the following Windows platforms:
The 32-bit installer (BlackboardDrive64-x86_1.6.x_setup.exe) supports the 32-bit versions of 'Windows XP', 'Windows Vista', 'Windows 7' and 'Windows 8' OS.
The 64-bit installer (BlackboardDrive64-x64_1.6.x_setup.exe) supports the 64-bit versions of 'Windows Vista', 'Windows 7' and 'Windows 8' OS.
- Files stored in Content Management for Blackboard Learn can be easily shared with peers, colleagues, or anybody by sharing the link to the file (for users who have permission to access the file). Or, files can be shared by creating a Content Pass, a special link that is good for a set number of days that will allow anyone to access the file, even if they don't have a Blackboard Learn account or appropriate permissions. The Intellittach feature (short for "intelligently attach") allows the user to generate this link or a Content Pass right from their desktop via Blackboard Drive.
- One of the powerful features of Content Management for Blackboard Learn is the ability to manage multiple versions of a file and have access to any of those older versions. In the past, Blackboard Drive only provided access to the most recent version of a file in the Content Collection. With version 1.6 of Blackboard Drive, the Content Management versioning feature comes to the desktop. Users can enable/disable versions and access past versions from the desktop volume in Blackboard Drive.
- Menu Bar Icon (OS X Only): With the release of version 1.6 of Blackboard Drive, the Blackboard Drive icon has moved to the OS X Menu Bar.
- Animated Blackboard Drive Icons: The Blackboard Drive icon in the system tray (Windows) or menu bar (OS X) will now show an animation, a pulsing green LED light, when files are being processed (i.e. uploaded, downloaded, etc.) to give a visual indicator that activity is taking place.
- Status Monitor Access: The "Status Monitor" is a feature of Blackboard Drive that shows a log of all the completed and pending activity since the last time Blackboard Drive was started. With this release, users will now see the Status Monitor by just right-clicking on the Blackboard Drive icon in the System Tray (Windows) or Menu Bar (OS X) and choosing Show Status Monitor.
- View Settings for Mounted Volumes: Previously, to view the setting of volume a user had to disconnect from the volume Blackboard Learn web server. This enhancement provides the ability to view, but not change the setting of a volume, without having to disconnect it.
- Show Local Mount Path: Previously, the mount path (i.e. the drive letter in Windows or the disk name in Mac) was not shown in the Blackboard Drive application window. Users had to check Windows Explorer or the OS X Finder to figure out that information. Now the drive letter or name will be shown in the Blackboard Drive application window.
- Copy & Drag-and-Drop Performance (Windows only): Windows users may have experienced slowness doing copy or drag-and-drop actions in their Blackboard Drive volumes. This stemmed primarily from back-and-forth communication between Windows Explorer and the Blackboard Learn server. These enhancements send appropriate messages to the Blackboard Learn server so the processes are performed server-side without it having to wait on Windows Explorer.
How to Download and Install Bb Drive 1.6
Clients licensing the Content Management module should submit a ticket with Blackboard Client Support to request Blackboard Drive. More details are available on a dedicated site on Behind the Blackboard.