Engage students in a collaborative learning experience from your Blackboard Open LMS class.
Create a session for each meeting, create a single reusable session for your class and update the date and time, or create an open session to use the entire semester. You can also grade student participation. It's up to you!
Collaborate sessions are added to your course content. Each Collaborate activity module is a unique session. Find the session you want to join and select the module. Select Join session.
Steps in Snap: Create learning activity or resource > Collaborate > Add
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Add an activity or resource > Collaborate > Add
- In any course section select Create learning activity or resource and choose Collaborate. Select Add.
If you are not using Snap, select Turn editing on. Select Add an activity or resource and choose Advanced forum. Select Add.
- Type a meaningful name for the activity.
- Select the date and time from the Start menus.
- Select how long you want the session to be in the Duration menu. By default sessions are scheduled for an hour.
If you want to keep the session open, select Duration of course.
- Optionally, select Allow Collaborate guest access if you want to invite guests not enrolled in your course to the session. You then can choose your guests' role in your session from the Collaborate guest role menu. By default, guests are presenters in the session. Only instructors can invite guests.
- Optionally, type a meaningful description. Help your students prepare for the session. If you add a description, select Display description on course page so students see it when looking through the course.
If you have groups in your course, individual group sessions are added to your Collaborate activity. Let students know which group to select when joining a session. If you want everybody in the same session, ask them to select No group.
- Optionally, set the following.
- Select Save and display to join the session and copy the guest access link.
Attendees can join sessions 15 minutes prior to the start time.
Steps in Snap: Collaborate > Edit > Grade
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Collaborate > Edit > Edit settings > Grade
Assign a grade for student participation, attendance, presentations, and anything else that matters to you. Expand Grade when adding or updating your Collaborate activity and set how you want to do it.
- Select one of the following from the Type menu.
- None: There is no grading type.
- Scale: Use a scale to grade. Select the scale you want to use from the Scale menu.
- Point: Use points when grading. Type the maximum number of points that can be earned.
- Optionally, if you use Gradebook categories, select the category from the Grade category menu.
- Optionally, type the minimum number of points a student needs to pass.
Use the description to provide your students with clear expectations and detailed directions. List grading criteria. Don't forget to select Display description on course page!
Steps in Snap: Create or edit an activity > Outcomes
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Create or edit an activity > Outcomes
Outcomes (competencies, standards, and goals) are specific descriptions of what a student has demonstrated and understood at the completion of an activity or course. Each outcome is evaluated by the instructor to determine whether the student has met the criterion.
The site administrator must set up outcomes at the site level and the outcomes must be included in the course settings to be associated.
Steps in Snap: Create or edit an activity > Common module settings
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Create or edit an activity > Common module settings
Decide if you want to show or hide the activity from your students. Create a unique ID number to identify the activity for grade calculations.
Steps in Snap: Create or edit an activity > Restrict access > Add restriction
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Create or edit an activity > Restrict access > Add restriction
Decide when you want a resource or activity available to students. You can use dates, score ranges, Personalized Learning Designer rules, profile fields and/or the completion of other course activities to make items available.
Steps in Snap: Create or edit an activity > Activity completion
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Create or edit an activity > Activity completion
You can set Activity completion options when you create or edit an activity. Activity completion works with course completion. With it you allow students to set their progress in a course or automatically update progress in a course based on conditions for activities.
Steps in Snap: Course Tools > Gradebook
Steps in other themes:
Before you can grade activity in a Collaborate session you must turn on grading.
In the Gradebook find the student and activity you want to grade. Type grades in the empty cells using point values, percentages and/or letter grades. Press Enter or select another cell to save the grade.
Where do I find my recordings?
After you record a session you and your students can view it in the activity. Find the Collaborate activity in your course and select it. All recordings for that activity appear at the bottom of the page. Select the recording to view it.
Can I invite guests?
You can invite guests to join your session. Guests can be presenters, participants, or moderators. Select Allow Collaborate guest access and choose the guest role from the Collaborate guest role menu.
After you allow guest access you can find a guest link in the Collaborate Join session page. Copy the link and send it to your guests so they can join.
Only you see the guest link. Students don't see it.