On this page
Rewind and repeat!
Record your sessions so that your students can access presentations whenever they need them. Stop and restart whenever you need to, and when finished, post the session to your course page.
Recordings capture the audio, video, and any content that is shared during a session. Recordings also capture any real time captions or chat available during the session.
If you want chat messages to be anonymous in the recording, make sure you select that option in Session Settings before you start the session. To learn more, see Session Settings.
If there are more than one captions available during the session, the recording will capture only the first one. To learn more, see Live closed captioning.
You can have multiple recordings during one session. If you decide to continue recording a session after you have stopped, a new recording is saved and added to the list of recordings for that session.
Open the Session menu and select Start Recording. The recording camera appears on with a red dot while recording is in progress.
To finish recording, open the Session menu and select Stop Recording.
If you are sharing a file, allow 8 seconds for the recording to include the shared file before moving on.
Recorded sessions are saved as MP4s. Recordings include activity in the live session.
- Any content shared or active speaker video
If both are shared during the session, only the content shared is recorded.
- Captions entered during the live session
If your session had more than one caption track, only the first available one is captured.
- Chat messages in the Everyone channel
Private messages and chat messages in breakout groups are not recorded.
Only moderators can record sessions.
Everyone can view the recordings from any device as often as they want. There are no view limits.
Recordings need to be converted into a playable format before viewing. The first time a recording is accessed the conversion begins. It may take a few minutes but once is has been done the recording can be viewed by everybody.
The recording player has the same look and feel as your Collaborate session. There is a Recording menu similar to the Session menu in your live sessions and recording playback controls.
The recording player is an HTML5 player. It is only available in Session Administrator System (SAS) , Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI), and Blackboard Collaborate ULTRA building block users at this time.
- Recording menu: Open the Recording menu at the top left of your screen. From here you can download the full recording, download caption transcripts, download chat transcripts, get extra help, or report an issue if you are having trouble with the recording.
- Captions: Captions are only available in recordings when captions were used during the live session. Closed captions are on in the recording by default. Select Closed Captions in the playback controls to turn off the captions or adjust the size of the caption font.
You can also download a transcript for the captions from the Recording menu.
- Playback controls: The intuitive playback controls allow you to navigate through the recording the way you want.
- Pause: With your keyboard, press the Spacebar to pause and play the recording.
- Repeat/Forward: With your keyboard, press the Left and Right arrow keys to repeat or skip the recording by 10 seconds.
- Progress: Slide the marker on the progress bar to move through the recording. With a keyboard press Shift + Left arrow or Shift + Right arrow to repeat or skip the recording by 10 seconds.
- Volume: With your keyboard, press the Up and Down arrow keys to increase and decrease the volume by 5%.
- Closed captions: Select Closed captions to view the captions with the recordings. You can also download a transcript of the captions from the Recording menu.
- Chat messages: Open the Chat panel at the bottom right of your screen to see the complete chat history of the recorded session. To learn more, see Chat messages in recordings.
Don't worry, we'll walk you through it. When you first open the recording player we'll show you where everything you need is.
Open the Chat panel at the bottom right of your screen to see the complete chat history of the recorded session.
Only chat messages in the Everyone channel are recorded. Private messages and breakout group chat messages are not recorded.
As the recording plays the chat messages posted highlight so you can see what was being said during that moment. You can also navigate to a specific location in the recording by selecting a chat message time stamp. If a message is faded, you haven't reached that part of the recording yet.
Moderators can also make chat messages in the recording anonymous from the session settings. This needs to be done before starting the live session and recording it. To learn more, see Session Settings for moderators.
Chat Recordings are only available in the HTML5 recording player which is only available in Session Administrator System (SAS) , Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI), and Blackboard Collaborate ULTRA building block users at this time. Not sure what your course is? Jump to Use in Your Course.
You can download chat transcripts from the Recording menu. This is only available in the recording player.
How do I find the recordings?
Recordings are saved on the same page you joined your session from.
- From a web link, log into Collaborate and select Recordings.
- From a Moodlerooms course, select the Collaborate activity to view the recordings.
- From a Blackboard Learn course, select Course Tools and Collaborate.
- From an Learning Tools Interoperability® (LTI) compliant Learning Management System (LMS), go to Collaborate and select Recordings.
Not sure what your course is? Jump to Use in Your Course.
Download recordings and transcripts
If the moderator has allowed session recording downloads, you can now download recordings from the recording player Recording menu.
You can also download chat and caption transcripts from the recording player Recording menu.
Open the Recording menu at the top left of your screen.
- Download the full recording
- Download caption transcripts
- Download chat transcripts
You can only download transcripts from the recording player. You can't download transcripts from a downloaded recording.
Allow users to download recordings
You must allow session recording downloads for each session. Open a session's Session Settings and check Allow download recording. Any recordings made in this session can be downloaded while downloads are allowed.
Downloads are only available to Session Administrator System (SAS) and Learning Tools Interoperability® (LTI) users at this time.
Recording and storage
More on Collaborate with the Ultra experience file and recording storage on Behind the Blackboard (available in English only)
Edit recording names
Give your recordings a new name. Access Recordings from your scheduler. Find the recording you want to edit. Open the Recording options and select Edit name.
The recording name always begins with the session name. Edits to the name change the text after the backslash (/) only.