Manage sessions and users
On this page
The Ultra experience of Collaborate uses a combination of the Collaborate Ultra Scheduler and the Original Session Administration System (SAS) to manage your users and sessions.
The Scheduler has basic administrative functionality at this time. Like the Ultra session experience, we'll continue adding functionality to this interface over time, eventually replacing the original SAS interface entirely.
When using Collaborate with the Ultra experience you log into the Scheduler by default. You can easily switch back and forth between the experiences any time. We'll help you decide when.
Switch between the Original and Ultra experiences of Collaborate any time with just one click!
- If you are in the Ultra experience, select Back to the Original experience (Collaborate V12)
- If you are in the Original experience, select Back to Collaborate Ultra experience
Bookmark the experiences to return to them any time!
Back to Collaborate Original experience
Back to Collaborate Ultra experience
You can also select the banner on the User Login page to check out the new Collaborate scheduling experience.
Create and manage sessions
If you want to create a session select Create session from the Sessions screen. To manage sessions, find the session you want to edit and select Session options and Edit settings.
- Type a meaningful session name. This helps students find the right session.
- Set the date and time the session starts and ends. You can choose to keep a session open or repeat. You can also select if students can enter the session prior to the start time.
- Optionally, type a detailed description of the meeting.
- Copy the moderator link for your personal use, such as adding to a personal calendar item. Anybody using this link must be able to sign in with the session creator credentials.
- Set guest access for the meeting. Clear the Guest access check box to remove guest access.
- You can send the copy of the guest link to your students, or other guests. You can also decide if your guests join as participants, presenters, or moderators by default.
Session links can be long and break when sent. Use a URL shortening service, such as TinyURLTM, to create a short alias for your session.
- Decide if guests join as a participant, presenter, or moderator. Not sure of which permissions to grant someone? Don't worry. Permissions can also be set during your meeting.
- Invite users to the session. Expand Invitations and select Add new invite or Search for existing users. To learn more, see Create and manage users.
Decide who can do what in the sessions.
- Allow recording downloads from the Recordings page as well as on the recording play back page.
- Show the profile pictures of moderators only.
- Allow participants to use audio, video, chat, and the whiteboard editing tools.
- Allow users to join the session using a telephone for their audio.
Create and manage users
You are given administrator and manager accounts when you are set up. Use the manager account to create and manage users.
Integration accounts must be set up by Blackboard at this time.
Accounts are created in the Original experience of Collaborate.
- From the Scheduler, select Back to the Original experience (Collaborate V12).
Not sure where to find this? See Switch experiences.
- Select Utilities and select Users.
- Provide a user name, password and email address for each account.
- Optionally, select May Manage User Password to allow users to change their password or recover a lost password.
- Optionally, select Notify New User to have Collaborate email users their account details.
Upload many users
You can also upload multiple users in a single process.
Moderators can record their sessions and share them. The recordings are saved as MP4 files. Users can stream or download them to view them. Recordings capture the audio, video, and any content that is shared during a session. Recordings also capture any real time captions or subtitles available during the session. If there are more than one captions available during the session, the recording will capture only the first one.
Administrators and moderators can view the Session Attendance report from the Scheduler.
Only the Session Attendance report is available for Ultra experience sessions at this time.
By default sessions can host 250 attendees. Large sessions in Collaborate have over 250 and up to 500 users in the session.
If you expect over 250 attendees in your session, you must submit a large session request to the Collaborate support team on Behind the Blackboard BEFORE the session begins.
Our support team needs at least 72 business hours prior notice to prepare for the event.
Large session settings
Some features can be disruptive in a session with that many attendees. Those are turned off.
- Participant permissions: These are turned off.
The permissions are off for participants only. Moderators and presenters can still do all of these things.
- Share audio
- Share video
- Post chat messages
Moderators can choose to turn this on DURING a session.
- Draw on whiteboards and files
- Breakout groups: Breakout groups is turned off. The group is too large for small group collaboration.
Submit a support request at least 72 hours in advance if you are planning a large event.
More on requesting a large session on Behind the Blackboard (available in English only)
- Create a session in the scheduler with a set start and end time.
- Go to Behind the Blackboard (available in English only).
- Select Create a case.
- From the Environment menu, select Web Conferencing.
- From the Issue Topic menu, select Large Event Request.
- From the Functional Area menu, select number of participants you expect.
- Optionally, fill in Instance, User Role, Client OS, Client OS Version, Browser Version, Java Version, CMS/LMS, and CMS/LMS URL.
- In URL Accessed, paste the session link.
- In Subject/Error Message, type "Large Event Request for Collaborate Ultra".
- In Description, provide these details about the event.
- Contact name
- Session name
- Session date and time
- Session link
- Select Create New Case.